Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom
- TIFF and RAW file support, nice bracketing features
- Large, difficult controls
With several advanced controls and 6.3 megapixel imaging, the FinePix E550 should suit intermediate photographers on a tight budget.
Price$ 635.00 (AUD)
Using a 6.3-megapixel CCD, the FinePix E550 Zoom fared very well in our lab tests. In its default, automatic modes, the FinePix E550 captured deep, realistic skin tones in a still-life shot; in an outdoor shot, the E550 picked up fine detail on buildings, as well as a deep blue sky with no evident speckling.
Although the 200g FinePix E550 has a bulky feel, its size gives it room to include a nice 2" LCD and a 4X optical zoom. It also has rubber grip pads on the right side, enabling you to hold the camera easily.
The camera powers up quickly and includes five scene modes, along with several semiautomatic modes (shutter- and aperture-priority) and full manual mode. Manoeuvring through the modes using the small, slightly sticky thumbwheel proved a little challenging, but handling the camera with one hand was quite easy overall. We had some difficulty thumbing through modes and options using the small four-way rocker, too: sometimes we hit one part of it when we intended to press another. Otherwise, navigating through menus didn't pose a challenge, and it didn't require moving through layers of submenus to find appropriate options.
The E550 includes automatic exposure bracketing control, and it also has a feature called Top 4 and Final 4, which, when you press the trigger, records a continuous sequence of photos but saves only the last four shots taken before you release the trigger. It should, in theory, give you a better chance of catching that perfect action shot. In addition, the E550 supports TIFF and RAW file formats--rare for a camera in its price class.
Running on two rechargeable AA batteries, the E550 managed 325 shots in our battery tests--a good showing, but not the best battery life we've seen.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Fujifilm Introduces Two High Performance Cinema Lenses for its Mirrorless Digital Camera X Series Range
- Fujifilm announces the Elite X-H1
- Panasonic Releases Impressive LUMIX DC-GX9 Camera For The Enthusiast
- Panasonic try to set new standard for Travel Cams with Lumix DC-TZ220
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- FTTraining & Communications SpecialistOther
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FTOracle DBA - Permanent PositionQLD
- FTSales Support and Administration OfficerOther
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityACT
- FTAssociate - Case ManagementOther
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - OnsiteOther
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- CCService Design LeadVIC
- TPDocument WriterVIC
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- FTBusiness Analyst - Wealth & Fund Management ApplicationsOther
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCLead Delivery Developer - Datapower and WPS DeveloperVIC
- FTWFM Support Analyst (Kronos)Other
- CCIteration Manager/Scrum MasterWA
- FTProject Administrator/CoordinatorSA
- FT.Net / SharePoint Developer - GosfordNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AgileOther
- FTContent Marketing SpecialistOther
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM Greenfield implemenationVIC