Fullpower Technologies MotionX-GPS
Some decent GPS functionality, but this app falls short of its potential.
- Compass, can geotag photos taken within app, Google Maps with multi-touch
- Doesn't employ full potential of aGPS, interface could be better
For a fraction of the price of a dedicated device, MotionX-GPS provides GPS functionality for outdoor activities.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
There is no shortage of attempts by third-party developers to harness the iPhone 3G's GPS capabilities. Whereas CLO Software's Traffic Australia attempted to remedy the lack of traffic updates, MotionX-GPS attempts to transform the iPhone into a handheld off-road GPS device. This pits it against dedicated devices like Magellan's Triton 400 and Garmin's Oregon 300, while costing a fraction of the price.
The MotionX-GPS interface even resembles those found on Magellan and Garmin devices. There's no way to flick between screens as you would the iPhone home menu — the app relies on small buttons in the bottom navigation bar instead.
The different screens offer detailed location information, a stopwatch, compass, map, track screen, waypoints list, and a logbook. Camera functionality is integrated into the stopwatch screen, automatically tagging any picture taken in the MotionX-GPS app with geographical data and adding it to the current waypoint.
Functions like the compass and geolocation data screen are the most helpful, providing you with bearing, detailed latitudinal/longitudinal data and even a speed gauge. Unfortunately, the speed gauge fails to register speeds below 5km/h.
The app is largely successful in replicating a dedicated handheld GPS device. However, it doesn't take full advantage of the iPhone 3G's capabilities. Instead of using the iPhone 3G's assisted GPS technology, satellite signal acquisition in MotionX-GPS relies mainly on the phone's integrated GPS receiver. When a full satellite signal cannot be achieved, then the app will use network triangulation, employing carrier towers to approximate your location. The signal is imprecise but it is the best that the app can provide in many circumstances — we couldn't manage a full signal in a car or train.
The latest version of MotionX-GPS is the first to include a map screen and any form of basemap. The gives the app an advantage against its main competitor, Garafa's GPS Kit. Based on Google Maps, the app provides three different views — basic map, topographical and satellite photography — and can be zoomed in and out using multi-touch. Unfortunately, there is no way to cache or download maps, making the app reliant on a continuous data connection, and thus rendering the map screen useless in a remote location. Though we can understand this, we would have preferred a simple basemap to serve as a placeholder in these situations.
MotionX-GPS has some decent functionality, but it is only likely to replace low-end handheld GPS devices like Garmin's GPSMAP 76.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTContract Specialist - TelecomOther
- FTNetwork Integration SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Front End Developer - (Urgent)Other
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTProgram Director - ieMROther
- CCMid-level SAP Architect - Brisbane basedNSW
- FTLevel 1 Application Support (POS)QLD
- FTField EngineerVIC
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTData ModellingACT
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDatabase Systems SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Infrastructure Projects)Other
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- TPAPS6 Business AnalystACT