Gainward BLISS 8800GTS Golden Sample
- Excellent overall performance
- Nothing notable
The Golden Sample offers excellent performance at a competitive price, making it ideal for users who require high-end gaming.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
The Golden Sample distinction on Gainward's graphics cards is an indicator that the card has faster than normal specifications. In the case of the BLISS 8800GTS Golden Sample, which uses NVIDIA's DirectX 10-ready GeForce 8800 GTS chipset, the speeds of the memory and the graphics processor are a good deal faster than the speeds offered by the standard version of this chipset. A standard GeForce 8800 GTS chip has a speed of 500MHz for the core processor and a speed of 1200MHz for the memory. In Gainward's Golden Sample, the 8800 GTS chip has speeds of 550MHz for the graphics processor and 1760MHz for the memory.
These speeds translated into faster frame rates at high quality settings in our tests. In particular, running 3DMark2006 at a resolution of 1650 x 1050 with 16x anisotropic filtering (AF) and 8x antialiasing (AA), garnered a result of 4942. This is far more than the result achieved by a card with a standard 8800 GTS chip: 4620. Faster frame rates were also achieved in FEAR. Running at a resolution of 1280 x 960 and with 16x AF and 4x AA, the Golden Sample card managed to score an average of 84 frames per second (fps) compared to the standard 8800 GTS score of 81fps.
The Golden Sample has 640MB of DDR3 memory to hold textures from the latest games and its GeForce 8800 GTS chip has 96 stream processors with which to process vertex, pixel and geometry data. The GeForce 8800 GTX is NVIDIA's top of the range chip and this has slightly better specifications than the GTS - using 768MB of DDR3 memory and 128 stream processors - but it costs more and requires more power to run. The memory interface of the 8800 GTS is also different to that found in the 8800 GTX. It has a 320-bit wide interface, while the GTX has a 384-bit wide interface. Nevertheless, the 8800 GTS can still move around 64GB of data per second to and from its onboard memory.
Due to the increased memory bandwidth and improved pixel processing architecture (via the 96 stream processors), this card has the ability to render high dynamic range (HDR) scenes with AA enabled, which is going to be an important requirement as more games are released that support true HDR. Physically, the card is 23cm long and it will take up two slots in your PC due to its large cooler, but it is not as large and won't consume as much power as a card based on the 8800 GTX.
The bottom line is, if you're a gamer looking for top-end performance at ultra high detail levels with all the benefits of DirectX 10, the Golden Sample is an excellent proposition.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- G.SKILL Releases New AMD Compatible Trident Z RGB kits
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTCyber Security Team LeadOther
- FTMaximo EngineerOther
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Developer/Technical AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- TPPHP DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCDevOps Automation SME - Telco ClientVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTHealthcare Pre-Sales Consultant - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTMySQL Database Administrator- Meadowbank locationOther
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- CCCloud Test EngineerNSW
- FTMultiple Axway rolesOther
- FTTest Automation EngineerVIC
- TPIT Technical WriterNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst (Report Analyst)Other
- FTHadoop DeveloperVIC
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Application SpecialistNSW
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA