Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS watch
A premium GPS watch from Garmin
- Simple to set up, fairly light
- Bezel control is not intuitive
While the bezel control takes a bit of getting used to, the Garmin Forerunner 405CX is packed with features and is the perfect companion for serious runners
Loaded with features for the serious runner, the Garmin Forerunner 405CX is a premium GPS watch aimed at the enthusiast end of the market.
Charging fully in three hours, the Forerunner 405CX is simple to set up — on-screen instructions explain how to set your user profile, configure the watch and use the touch-sensitive bezel control.
The touch control is designed to simplify navigation — you tap or hold the outer edge of the watch's face to find your way through the 405CX's menus. Pressing the two buttons on the right-hand side of the watch locks the bezel control to prevent accidental taps when exercising. However, it takes a bit of getting used to, and is far from intuitive for first-time users. In fact, you'll probably need to refer to the manual to avoid getting lost in a maze of on-screen options.
But once you've got the hang of the bezel control, the Forerunner 405CX is a breeze to use. We found that it located the satellites quickly, on the whole. On some occasions we were ready to go within ten seconds, although it was noticeably slower to connect in central London. The only time we lost satellite connection was during a rather extreme stress-test travelling at 60mph on a commuter train; at a rather more leisurely 7mph in leafy suburbia we had no such problems.
Various workouts are available to the serious athlete — but we opted for the tried-and-tested run-as-far-as-you-can-without-collapsing approach, i.e. we set the timer running and started running. The 405CX is fairly lightweight and stayed safely secured on the wrist by the strong strap closure.
Those who like to track their routes and measure their progress using a PC are well catered for by Garmin's Connect service. Once you sign up online, you can keep a log of distance travelled and speed, and see your route on Google Maps. It also estimates how many calories you've burned.
The Forerunner 405CX also comes with wireless heart rate monitor to help you get the most out of your training. The heart rate monitor continuously tracks heart beats per minute and uses your heart rate for advanced calorie computation, so you know how many calories you're burning. The idea is that you train in a certain heart rate zone to improve your fitness level or compare your pace and heart rate to past performance on the same run.
To upload the data from the Forerunner 405CX to web, you must first download Garmin's ANT Agent, and then pair the watch with your computer via Bluetooth using the ANT stick provided in the box. This took a couple of minutes, after which details of every run we took was automatically uploaded to Garmin Connect each time the Forerunner was within reach of our PC to connect.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Exciting New Aussie Dash-Cams Unveiled Ahead of Holiday Road Trip Season
- Latest Spartan sports watches hit the scene
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTProgram Project Manager, Business Technology EnablementOther
- CCSystem Engineer - TelcoVIC
- FTAccount Manager - TechnologyACT
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- CCPEGA SSA DevVIC
- FTOracle Database Exadata Engineers, Sydney CBD, 6 months contract,NSW
- CCiOS Developer - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTTest AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerSA
- FTAdministration AssistantOther
- FTSenior Analyst - Enterprise Reference DataOther
- TPChange ManagerQLD
- FTC++/Python DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Checkpoint Security EngineerOther
- TPDynamics CRM Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse DeveloperQLD
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTLevel 2 Support EngineerVIC
- TPChange and Training Manager - TRIMQLD
- FTSoftware Engineer (Java/AWS/NoSQL)Other
- FTLead Business Analyst - Senior Digital ConsultantACT
- TPSenior Change MaangerACT