Gigabyte Dual GeForce 6600GT (GV-3D1)
- Great package, powerful, competitively priced
- Cannot run two of these in SLI
This innovative package really takes the pain out of finding and configuring an SLI setup. Great for serious gamers.
Price$ 929.00 (AUD)
In a great display of innovation, Gigabyte has taken Nvidia's SLI graphics principle, which enables two individual graphics cards to be linked together in the same system, and applied it to one graphics card.
That is, it has installed two GeForce 6600GT graphics chips on one circuit board in SLI mode.
These two 6600GT graphics chips work together to provide SLI graphics in very much the same way as a two-card setup does, in that each graphics chip is designated to either render the top or bottom half of the screen, or to render every alternate frame on the screen, thereby evenly sharing the load between each chip. The card uses the full 16 lanes of available PCI Express (PCIe) bandwidth and each chip has its own 128MB DDR3 frame buffer (memory). Both chips on the GV-3D1 have a clock speed of 500MHz and their memory chips run at 1120MHz.
If you were looking to build an SLI system for faster graphics, the GV-3D1's design would mean one less expansion card in your SLI system. It would also mean you wouldn't have to hunt around for two identical SLI graphics cards, or a motherboard with two 16X PCIe slots.
We tested this card with a bundled Gigabyte motherboard using Doom 3 at a resolution of 1280 x 1024 with high detail and 4X anti-aliasing enabled. In single chip mode, the card managed 40 frames per second (fps) in our demo, while in SLI mode this figure soared to 70fps. This latter figure compares favourably against a single 6800GT-based card, which would garner around 65fps on the same system.
By this point you may be wondering if it is possible to connect two GV-3D1 cards together to achieve a total of four graphics chips in one system. Unfortunately, the answer is no, this isn't supported.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Logitech say new mouse features the best optical sensor ever designed for wireless gaming
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
- HyperX Unveil Heavy-Duty Gaming Keyboard
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: ASUS Newest Notebooks
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Digital ProducerNSW
- FTIBM Tivoli Network Configuration leadVIC
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorOther
- CCProject Manager - Audio VisualNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCVMWare Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSecurity Consultant - Security SDMNSW
- FTTransformation SpecialistQLD
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTAgile Scrum Master/Iteration Manager - Banking and InsuranceVIC
- CCIT Security ArchitectNSW
- FTDatabase ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystACT
- TPMessaging EngineerQLD
- FTUnix/AIX AdministratorOther
- TPPMO Manager - Responsible LendingNSW
- FTPrint Sales Manager - Geelong basedOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Loyalty Program)Other
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- FTGraduate Inside Sales Consultant - SMSF SolutionsOther
- FTSenior Test AnalystQLD