Gigabyte GeForce 6800 GT VPU (GV-N68T256DH)
- Great cooling system, good value for money
- Poor software bundle
A powerful AGP card to tide people over till the move to PCI Express becomes compulsory.
Price$ 595.00 (AUD)
This card impressed us on two fronts. Its cooling system is among the first we have seen to have its fan located on the top side of the card instead of directly on the GPU itself. It sits on a huge heat sink, which means there are two large heat sinks on this card, and the top-side heat sink is connected to the main GPU heat sink via heat pipes. These heat sinks also cool the memory at the same time. This arrangement does mean that the cooling fan is prone to hot air from CPU and chipset fans blowing in its direction, so a proper exhaust at the rear of your system should be in place.
The second impressive feature of this card is its price tag. This card should be snapped up by anyone looking for a high-end card to fit into an AGP 8X system. It means you will not have to upgrade to PCIe for at least a few years.
Its GeForce 6800GT chip propelled it to very good frame rates, with Doom 3's most taxing settings switched on.
Don't expect too much bundled software. Apart from the V-tuner2 fan and clock management utility, you only get a software DVD player and no games.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- FSP's wild new power supply is liquid-cooled and built for silence
- Some Radeon RX Vega graphics cards will be faster than the Frontier Edition
- Nvidia quietly launches the GeForce GT 1030, a Radeon RX 550 rival with a modest price
- AMD's first Radeon Vega graphics card isn't for you, and gamers may be waiting a while
- AMD's Ryzen Mobile chips are ready for liftoff, with the new Ryzen Pro not far behind
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSenior Digital BANSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Technology and StrategyQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- CCXML DeveloperVIC
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTSQL DBA SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTLooking for Lead Solution ArchitectACT
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect - DatacentreVIC
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTState IT Systems EngineerTAS
- CCICT Security Systems AdministratorNSW
- TPProject Manager - ProcurementQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTAppian DeveloperQLD
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC