- Aesthetic, great DVD writing
- Slow, uses a lot of system resources
Even though we did experience some problems with the data transfer mode of the drive, it still produced solid test results that make it worth considering.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
If you're fussy about your drive's appearance, then you will appreciate the extra bezel that Gigabyte supplies with this drive, which allows you to dress it up in either black or white. For extra funkiness, you could mix and match the tray plate with the main bezel and become the only kid on the block with a black and white burner!
Aesthetics aside, during our tests this inexpensive unit provided excellent DVD write performance using the CAV method, but slightly sluggish read performance.
During our testing, it mysteriously changed from using Ultra DMA mode to PIO mode. This was perhaps due to the drive having a problem reading one of our pressed discs, and it took us a few system restarts to get the drive working in DMA mode again. For the record, using PIO mode with this drive, even on a powerful system, really made for snail-paced burning and used up to 100 per cent of our system CPU.
The drive comes with Nero Express 6 and PowerDVD. That's fantastic value considering this drive can be found for less than $100.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Monster Hunter World review
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Business Analyst (IAM & Cyber Security)Other
- FTOracle e-Business Suite ConsultantOther
- FTUser Experience (UX) DeveloperOther
- CCLinux DevOps Engineer - Cloud platformVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer (Cisco)NSW
- FTSenior Scrum MasterOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Wealth & Fund Management ApplicationsOther
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD
- CCSenior MS SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- FTSharePoint O365 - Application SupportOther
- FTFrontend Developer - UX/UINSW
- FT.Net Developer (Full Stack)Other
- FTAEM/Jave DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Strategy Analyst - Financial Services - Based in BrisbaneVIC
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber Security - CanberraNSW
- FTSenior AWS Cloud SpecialistsOther
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- TPProject Manager - Cyber SecurityNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer, Continuous Delivery, Cloud AutomationOther
- FTUX/UI DesignerQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystACT