Although privacy issues are a concern, if you are vigilant we feel that they are outweighed by the benefits.
If your computer is awash with documents, e-mails, instant messages, cached Web pages - making finding anything close to impossible - try Google Desktop.
Using the same techniques as the company's Web search engine, Google Desktop is designed to help you seek out elusive information on your PC. When you first install the software it indexes everything on your hard drive - from documents and files to e-mail messages. Even information stored within chat sessions and cached Web pages you have visited is included. The indexing process runs constantly to ensure that you can always search through all your most recent data. If you want to exclude anything, you can do so from Preferences.
Once your PC is indexed, you can search it either by clicking on the icon that appears in your toolbar or visiting http://desktop.google.com where the desktop search option is also displayed. The results are presented in much the same way as Internet searches, except that the icon beside each one shows you if it is an e-mail, Web page, Word document and so on. Clicking on a listed result either takes you directly to the original or shows you how to find it.
Although Google Desktop is invaluable, it does throw up some privacy issues. If you install it on a public PC then anyone can search through your Web, e-mail and chat history unless you switch this option off.
On a home PC this is still a problem unless you use multiple accounts. In that case, only the user who installed it can use the utility, so it indexes the data just for that account.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
- Huawei CEO Talks Up AI Ambitions At IFA
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- TPProject Manager - Network, Security and Wi-FiQLD
- FTLead Land Access Coordinator - UrgentOther
- FTBiztalk DeveloperSA
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- FTProject CoordinatorOther
- FTINTEGRATION DEVELOPERSA
- CCDataStage DeveloperNSW
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Writer, Infrastructure and SystemsOther
- FTMobile App Developer - XamarinWA
- CCTRIM Support OfficerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- FTServer SupportSA
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Audio VisualNSW