Google Home Mini smart speaker review
- Access to Google Assistant
- Underwhelming music sound quality
- No audio line-out
As long as you don't care about music quality, the Mini is a welcome addition to the Google Home smart speaker family.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Talkative smart speakers are jostling for position at the heart of Australian smart homes, with the tiny Google Home Mini making it easier than ever to bring Google Assistant to life.
Google has a head start in Australia's smart speaker war, while we wait for Amazon's Echo speakers running the Alexa smart assistant – which should arrive in the next few months along with Apple's Siri-powered HomePod.
Following Amazon's lead with the Echo Dot, Google has unveiled the Home Mini as an affordable little brother for the $199 Google Home speaker. Both tech giants want to bring their talkative smart assistants to every corner of our homes, so interacting with them becomes second nature in the post-smartphone age.
The Home Mini has the same footprint as the standard Google Home speaker, around the size of a 600ml carton of milk, but it's only a quarter the height so it's easier to hide away on your kitchen bench, coffee table or bedside table.
A cloth top, available in a choice of three colours, hides four lights which shine when you have the speaker's attention. It doesn't start listening until you say "Okay Google", with the ability to recognise multiple voices, but there's also a physical switch to disable the mic when you want some privacy.
While the speaker is voice-controlled, you can also tap the sides to manually adjust the volume. One frustration with both the Home and Home Mini is that they don't feature separate volume controls for the Google Assistant voice and music, so if you've turned it up to hear the voice across the room it's often too loud when you play music – streaming from services like Google Play Music and Spotify.
Google is working on a solution for this volume issue, which will hopefully be in place before the Sonos-style Google Home Max speaker is launched – with its extra grunt you wouldn't want Google Assistant shouting at you.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - Data & Information ModellingQLD
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCCisco Communication Engineer / Technician - FIFOWA
- FTInformation ArchitectOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTSecurity DevOps EngineerOther
- TPPHP and PL/SQL SupportNSW
- FTProgram ManagerSA
- CCBack-End Developers - PHP - Federal GovernmentVIC
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCProcess Improvement and Change Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)QLD
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - InfrastructureWA
- FTSQL Database AdministratorACT
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCGenesys ConsultantACT