- Sophisticated searching
- Quite complex
The mini is a slim, server-size appliance that brings the speed and relevance of Google's search engine to your company's network.
Price$ 4,695.00 (AUD)
Google brings all the searching power of its Web based search engine to your office network with the Google Mini.
We tested the latest version of the Mini on our network at PC World and found its indexing speedy and its searches nearly instantaneous. It was just what you would expect from a Google search tool, it was spot-on in most cases.
Direct help from Google was necessary to get the Mini to index both our Web site and an internal file server. It employs an unusual format for referring to network servers that had even our I.T. experts scratching their heads. Eventually we had to call Google's tech support, which is included in the price for one year.
Once installed, access is through a series of administrative pages using your Web browser. You tell it what parts of your network or Web site you want it to crawl, and you can specify what paths you don't want it to follow. This $4965 version of the Mini will index 50,000 files; a $74,486 version will index 500,000 files and other versions will search different variations between these extremes. You can also include a search box on your Web site for visitors to use when searching your site.
The default layout of the search page looks exactly like a Google search page, which you can customise. While you can narrow your search to a specific file type - the Mini will index 220 different file types - it doesn't tackle even common e-mail formats.
The Google Mini can be a hassle to set up, but if you know a bit about networking, it will let you do much more sophisticated searching.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Intelligence SpecialistNSW
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- TPProject Manager - IaaSQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- TPSecurity AnalystACT
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst / Advisor - Content & Collaboration - SharePointNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- CCC++ Developer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTAutomation Framework DeveloperVIC
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- CCPHP DeveloperVIC
- TPFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCIntegration Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA