Google Nexus Q media streamer (preview)
Google's new media player streams music and movies from Android
- Interesting approach to media streaming
- No plans for Australia
Google's Nexus Q hinges on sharing and collaborating to build music and video playlists with your friends -- it's a 'social' media streamer.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Nexus Q is a new, orb-shaped media streaming device from Google, just announced before the Google I/O conference. The Nexus Q is, according to Google, "the first social streaming media player".
The Google Nexus Q partners with an Android smartphone or tablet, and can stream music and videos from the Google Play store to a TV and sound system. Its killer feature is that you and your friends (using Android devices) can team up to create playlists of music and video clips on the fly.
The new media streamer, which hasn't been announced for Australia — we've only just got the first generation of Google TV products here in the form of the Sony Internet TV Player — can also power a pair of speakers, positioning it as a Frankeinstein's Media Streamer cobbled together from the innards of the Apple TV and Sonos Play:5.
Like the Sonos system, you can have multiple Google Nexus Q players synced in different rooms of your house, playing music and video clips from a single source.
The Google Nexus Q runs an OMAP4460 processor based on the 1.5GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 — this is a processor that can handle 1080p Full HD video streaming without consuming as much power as a PC or Blu-ray player. It's got 16GB of on-board memory for apps, 1GB of RAM, built-in Wi-Fi and runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich: broadly similar specs to the Samsung-Google Nexus smartphone from 2011.
Update: Google has told Good Gear Guide that there are "no plans for the Q in Australia at this stage."
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Consultant - HP Service Manager 9NSW
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - 6 Month Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior React DeveloperQLD
- FTPronto Systems / Reporting AnalystVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPOutlook Support AnalystsVIC
- CCHR / Org. Development Business Analyst - Large Telco Contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- TPOBIEE/Java DeveloperACT
- FTExecutive AssistantOther
- CCAzure Consultant / ArchitectVIC
- FTInternal Communications ConsultantSA
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTAutomation Test Analyst- QTP/UFT scripting - X5Other
- CCGeospatial Project ManagerNSW
- FTPenetration TesterNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Enterprise Risk & ComplianceNSW
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- FTProgram Manager - CRM software solutionsOther
- FTSenior Information Security ConsultantNSW
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD