June is the month to get your business organised. Enter today.
Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) digital radio
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio combines a digital radio receiver and an iPod dock
- Interesting design, DAB+ digital radio
- No alarm clock function, bass lacks richness, treble occasionally lacks clarity
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) has a DAB+ digital radio receiver and an iPod dock. We would have liked it to have an alarm clock and better sound quality, but it is a fairly good package at this price.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) is a digital radio and iPod dock with two speakers and a tuner for receiving conventional FM radio.
With digital radio being rolled out by 1 July in Australia at the latest, it's a good time to upgrade to a DAB+ radio. We've already reviewed the Sangean DPR-99 DAB+ Radio and a range of other manufacturers (such as Yamaha and Tivoli) will soon be releasing digital radios.
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) has an attractive design, with a piano-black chassis and curved sides. Its two 2W speakers are hidden under a felt cover and control buttons sit on either side of the iPod dock.
The two-line FSTN display (a form of LCD) shows information such as station name and a clock (which can be automatically set using digital radio signals). Unfortunately, the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) doesn't have an alarm clock function, which is disappointing considering the price.
Signal acquisition for both DAB+ digital and FM radio is simple thanks to the automatic scanning. Although the initial basic scan failed to locate any digital radio stations, the full scan locked on to all 11 currently broadcast in Sydney.
The iPod dock is compatible with the iPhone. The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio's remote control offers full iPod menu control and is easy to use. You can plug the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio into a power point or use six C-cell batteries.
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio pumps out enough sound to fill a small to medium room, but it distorts at high volume levels. Mid-range notes sound smooth, but the lack of bass is quite noticeable. While listening to Green Onions by Booker T. & the M.G.'s, the track's deep bass wasn't adequately represented and lacked power. The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio lets you manually increase the level of bass but it does so at the expense of mid-range.
Although the two 3in speakers have no trouble hitting the high notes, we found that treble occasionally sounded slightly muffled. When listening to The Flower Duet from the opera Lakmé the high notes weren't clear enough, but this is expected for a device at this price point.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 2 Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- 3 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 4 Nokia 7 Plus review: Predictable and plus-sized
- 5 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
Latest News Articles
- Airplay 2 available on Sonos
- Optoma Launches Home Theatre Series
- Federal court upholds LG verdict over misleading representations
- Voice Assistant use to grow 1000% to reach 275 million by 2023, Juniper says
- Nvidia to bring Shield TV to Australian market
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Amazon Prime Day 2018
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?