Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) digital radio
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio combines a digital radio receiver and an iPod dock
- Interesting design, DAB+ digital radio
- No alarm clock function, bass lacks richness, treble occasionally lacks clarity
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) has a DAB+ digital radio receiver and an iPod dock. We would have liked it to have an alarm clock and better sound quality, but it is a fairly good package at this price.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) is a digital radio and iPod dock with two speakers and a tuner for receiving conventional FM radio.
With digital radio being rolled out by 1 July in Australia at the latest, it's a good time to upgrade to a DAB+ radio. We've already reviewed the Sangean DPR-99 DAB+ Radio and a range of other manufacturers (such as Yamaha and Tivoli) will soon be releasing digital radios.
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) has an attractive design, with a piano-black chassis and curved sides. Its two 2W speakers are hidden under a felt cover and control buttons sit on either side of the iPod dock.
The two-line FSTN display (a form of LCD) shows information such as station name and a clock (which can be automatically set using digital radio signals). Unfortunately, the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) doesn't have an alarm clock function, which is disappointing considering the price.
Signal acquisition for both DAB+ digital and FM radio is simple thanks to the automatic scanning. Although the initial basic scan failed to locate any digital radio stations, the full scan locked on to all 11 currently broadcast in Sydney.
The iPod dock is compatible with the iPhone. The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio's remote control offers full iPod menu control and is easy to use. You can plug the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio into a power point or use six C-cell batteries.
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio pumps out enough sound to fill a small to medium room, but it distorts at high volume levels. Mid-range notes sound smooth, but the lack of bass is quite noticeable. While listening to Green Onions by Booker T. & the M.G.'s, the track's deep bass wasn't adequately represented and lacked power. The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio lets you manually increase the level of bass but it does so at the expense of mid-range.
Although the two 3in speakers have no trouble hitting the high notes, we found that treble occasionally sounded slightly muffled. When listening to The Flower Duet from the opera Lakmé the high notes weren't clear enough, but this is expected for a device at this price point.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTTest Automation EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer - ContractOther
- FTChange Analyst, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- FTTeam Leader - Software ServicesVIC
- FTCloud Solution ArchitectOther
- TPProject Manager - IaaSQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Agile Software Business AnalystOther
- FTTIBCO iProcess LeadOther
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- CCDeployment ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPWeb DeveloperACT
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTIT Service Delivery Manager - Workplace Technology (O365 & SP)Other
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- CCSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - GISQLD
- FTNetwork Engineers- Transmission, IP Core and ITOther