Grundig GSTB3111BR set top box with Blu-ray player
This cheap set top box has an integrated Blu-ray player and is simple to operate
- It's cheap, it's perfectly acceptable at playing back Blu-ray video and free-to-air digital TV
- The remote control isn't intuitive or slick, the interface is Spartan
The Grundig GSTB3111BR set top box combines a digital TV receiver with a Blu-ray disc player that supports Full HD 1080p playback. It's a simple product, but that doesn't mean it's bad -- it does an entirely acceptable job when it comes to playing both digital TV and Blu-ray video. Its interface isn't especially good looking and the remote control is a little basic, but if you're prepared to put up with this then there's little reason to buy a more expensive Blu-ray player or set top box unless you need a PVR or Web access.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
The Grundig GSTB3111BR set top box is a competent digital TV receiver that also incorporates a Blu-ray disc player and a USB-based media player. It's reasonably cheap but doesn't have any significant flaws we could find — for watching digital TV, playing Blu-ray movies and viewing the occasional photo or playing back a song it works just as advertised.
Looking for a fully-featured personal video recorder? Check out our PVR comparison.
Design, interface and remote control
Grundig seemingly didn't have the same large design budget for the GSTB3111BR as Samsung did for its Series 9 or Pioneer for its BDP-LX54 — style takes a back seat to functionality and ease of use. That's not to say the GSTB3111BR is ugly — it just looks plain.
The remote control is a slight disappointment. With set top boxes generally aimed at older buyers looking to revitalise their aging TV without having to buy a new plasma or LCD, we were surprised the buttons weren't a little more individualised and more clearly labelled; the text under each button is small, and some buttons aren't given the clearest possible identification.
The on-screen interface of the Grundig is basic. Again, it's not ugly or hard to use, but it doesn't exude the same sense of refinement that you find on more expensive PVRs or Blu-ray players like the Samsung BD-C8900 or Sony BDP-S470. Thankfully all the major set top box options like tuning and setting up favourite channel lists are easy to access. If on-screen style is a major consideration, we'd suggest you look elsewhere.
Setup, performance, and features
Setting up the Grundig GSTB3111BR is very simple, so you shouldn't need any assistance. All we had to do was plug it in to our test Panasonic TH-L32S25A LCD TV with an HDMI cable (although you can also use composite A/V), connect the antenna cable and switch it on. A first-time setup menu prompts an automatic scan for digital and analog TV channels, and once that's complete, the set top box is ready to use.
The Grundig performed acceptably for both digital TV and Blu-ray playback. It takes a few seconds to start up, but changing channels takes under two seconds — our limit for bearable channel switching speed. Our suite of Blu-ray movies consistently took under 15 seconds to load, which is satisfactory, but not blazingly fast performance.
You can connect the Grundig GSTB3111BR to your home network to access the Internet features of BD-Live Blu-ray discs, although you'll need to plug in a USB stick for this to work. The USB port also allows the playback of MP3, WMA and JPG files, and while this feature is very simple, it's possible to have an impromptu slideshow or play a folder of music files.
The Grundig GSTB3111BR is a perfectly competent digital TV set top box and Blu-ray disc player. It's simple and the on-screen interface doesn't hide any flashy surprises, but this might make it more attractive to tech-shy potential buyers. If you're looking to buy an all-in-one digital TV receiver and disc player, but don't want to spring for an $800 PVR, this is a device worth considering.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTVBA DeveloperOther
- FTApplication Support SpecialistVIC
- CCWintel Team LeadWA
- FTField ConsultantOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- TPIntegration Developer. Cloud SolutionsNSW
- FTAccount Manager - Enterprise AccountsOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Data and Information MangementQLD
- FTRelocate to Perth for Software Engineering RolesSA
- FTLevel 2 Support Engineer | 12mth FTCOther
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTField Service TechnicianOther
- TPSenior Test Analyst - GIS DrupalNSW
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTMicrofocus Cobol DeveloperOther
- FTService Desk ConsultantOther
- FTPart-time Project Administrator (Agile) - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- TPSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTSenior .NET Engineer - Back-EndNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Rules/ Real time analysis)VIC
- FTSystem TesterOther