Grundig Meglio GLED2211HDV LED TV
Grundig Meglio review: A small-screen LED TV that’s got good picture quality and a modern design
- Good detail levels from a small panel
- Modern, thin design
- Speakers distort at high volumes
- No tilt for the screen
Grundig's Meglio GLED2211HDV LED TV is small but is still able to display a good quality picture. Casual viewers will be happy with the screen's contrast and detail, and the design is modern. Unless you're viewing from an awkward angle or need loud speakers, the Meglio is a competent TV with the additional convenience of a built-in DVD player.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Grundig Meglio is a slim LED-backlit LCD TV with a built-in DVD player, multimedia support over USB and optional recording and time-shifting of live TV. Its small size makes it well suited to an office, study or bedroom but we would have liked the screen to be more versatile.
Grundig Meglio LED TV: Design, setup and connectivity
The Meglio's stand swivels left to right with a good range of motion, but we were disappointed that it didn't have any up-down tilt available. Given the small size of the screen, we think this would have been an easy and useful inclusion. If the Grundig Meglio is sitting too far above or below your line of vision, colour and screen brightness can be lost.
The Grundig Meglio has two HDMI ports, a single USB port, a few analog video connectors and a side-mounting slim DVD player. The USB is annoyingly on the downward-facing panel at the rear of the TV rather than the side, but since the Meglio is light and small it’s not a huge inconvenience.
We plugged the Grundig Meglio into a Apple MacBook Pro to test the screen's video and audio performance, as well as a Kogan Blu-ray player. We also tested multimedia over USB — MKV, AVI, WMA, MP4 and MOV video files work perfectly, as do MP3, WMA and AAC audio files — and ran through a few DVDs in the inbuilt DVD player.
Grundig Meglio LED TV: Picture quality and performance
The Grundig Meglio's 22in 1080p LED-backlit LCD screen has good picture quality if you're viewing it front-on. Moving horizontally slowly robs colour clarity and brightness, but the screen's poor vertical viewing angle is its main impediment. If you have the Grundig Meglio TV at or near eye level, this won't be an issue.
In ideal viewing conditions the Meglio is able to display a good level of detail, similar to the Vanto (although at a slightly smaller screen size). We watched The Dark Knight and Terminator: Salvation to determine the screen's contrast performance; at default settings the screen tends to wash out highlights a little but lowering brightness meant we could see a reasonable amount of detail in both dark and bright areas. Any casual viewer will be happy with the Grundig Meglio GLED2211HDV for watching TV, DVD or most Blu-ray movies.
We played a number of MKV and MP4 files at 1080p and 720p resolution on the Grundig Meglio to give it a test run. All 720p and all but one 1080p files worked without any errors occurring, with most files starting playback within ten seconds. If you download a lot of video files from the Internet, the Grundig Meglio is a capable choice for playback — it supports all the most common file formats and can handle high-definition content.
The DVD player of the Grundig Meglio is near-silent, starts quickly and operates without any slow-down or undue fuss. If you're mainly going to be using the Meglio for TV or DVD watching, we don't see a reason to purchase a standalone Blu-ray player or media streamer.
Grundig Meglio LED TV: Conclusion
The Grundig Meglio is a competent small-screen LED TV. Its built-in DVD player and integrated USB playback add some extra value to an otherwise simple screen. If you're looking for a small screen for an office or workspace the Meglio doesn't have any glaring flaws in picture quality or performance, but you'll need to accommodate the stand's lack of tilt.
Join the newsletter!
So, what do I want out of my next laptop and what must it include?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- Hisense Unveils 2018 ULED TV Range
- LG celebrate ThinQ brand with new 2018 TV range
- Samsung confirm Australian pricing and availability for 2018 QLED range
- Panasonic expands OLED offering
- Kogan Launches Google-Powered TV
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTNetwork EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- CCNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- CCICT Procurement SpecialistQLD
- FTSupport Consultant (Chris 21)Other
- FTSenior Data Warehouse DeveloperQLD
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM Greenfield implemenationVIC
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- FTFull Stack .Net Web DeveloperOther
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- FTSystems Engineer - Ticketing Support - Office365 / ExchangeOther
- FTSenior Rail Project Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPSenior Program OfficerQLD
- TPPMO AnalystVIC
- CCTransformation Technical ArchitectWA
- CCField Services TechnicianWA
- FTITSM Configuration ManagerOther
- CCSenior Oracle Developer - Telecom domainVIC
- CCMessaging AdministratorQLD
- TPPMO AnalystACT
- CCApplications EngineerNSW
- FTProject Manager T24NSW