So, what do I want out of my next laptop and what must it include?
- Small, attractive, easy to use
- Some sound distortion at high volume levels
The Ovation would make a nice musical addition to any bedroom
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
When you wake up in the morning, we think you'll agree with us that it's not always nice to be greeted with the piercing shriek of your alarm clock. Do you also find that on a Sunday morning, you'd like to listen to some music, but the idea of going downstairs to switch on the HiFi just seems far too much effort? Well, Grundig has the solution to both these problems in the Ovation: a micro CD player and radio. Of course, you don't have to keep it in your bedroom, it would work equally well in the kitchen or anywhere else you choose, but it's definitely best suited to a smaller room.
The Ovation is one of many "lifestyle" devices that have flooded the market in recent years. Companies such as Bose and Bang & Olufsen have made a hefty profit flogging stunning pieces of gear that unfortunately cost a not-so-small fortune. Sitting slightly lower down in the market is Grundig with its Ovation range of players. While the Ovation's performance can't match those much more expensive players, in our minds unless you're a lotto winner, it's a much better buy.
Grundig has spent some time ensuring that the design of the Ovation is aesthetically pleasing yet also functional. The Ovation sports a somewhat minimalist design, with lots of sharp lines and circles in various shades of silver. This minimalism is especially prevalent on the remote control as all the buttons are identical, which at first glance can be a little confusing. Once you've got used to where the various functions lie, this isn't such a problem. The remote control also comes with its own stand, the inclusion of which seems as much to show off the remote as it does to provide useful storage. In true show-off style the Ovation also sports a snazzy multicoloured backlight. At first we were slightly irritated by its constant flashing, but this thankfully stops and can be set to any colour of the rainbow that you desire.
Typically, very small CD players offer very small sound. The Ovation bucks this trend by including a dedicated bass speaker with volume levels that defy its diminutive proportions. The lower frequency sound can become slightly distorted on bass heavy tracks at higher volumes but for the most part we found the sound to be crisp, clear and powerful. Testing across the whole spectrum of musical genres we found that rock, pop, classical and dance music all sounded pretty good. We were particularly surprised with the Ovation's powerful renditions of heavier styles. This is in part helped by the inclusion of a five mode equalizer with presets for classical, pop, rock and jazz. A bass boost function is also a useful addition, though we found that for some genres of music this pushes the sound too far, leading to some nasty distortion.
The Ovation doesn't sport an overwhelming number of functions. You can play CDs or you can listen to the radio. That's pretty much it, though the ability to play MP3 CDs is also welcome. Despite this apparent lack of functionality, the Ovation is an attractive device that will sit nicely in any home, also having the bonus of good performance and a price tag that won't break the bank.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- Fetch TV and Netflix Expand Partnership
- Fetch TV launch new BBC Living channel
- Ultimate Ears unveil Alexa-powered BLAST and MEGABLAST smart speakers
- BeoPlay introduce P6 portable speaker
- Hisense Unveils 2018 ULED TV Range
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Frostpunk review: A richly conceived and vividly realised city sim
- Netgear Arlo Go review: An expensive but comprehensive home security solution
- Fitbit Versa review: New look, better price, same limits
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTProject Manager, Capital WorksNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - JuniperWA
- FTSystems EngineerOther
- FTMedication Management Support - PermanentQLD
- TPTechnical Support ResourceVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- CCApplications EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- CCPega Systems Architects/DevelopersACT
- CCDevOps ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTSAP ABAP (CRM)/ UI5 DevelopersOther
- FTAWS AdministratorOther
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk SupportVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst- SMSF AdministratorOther
- CCWindows System Admin with IIS - Insurance ClientQLD
- FTSenior Project Managers (Multiple roles)Other
- TPDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperQLD