GSP Software Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum Edition
- Intuitive interface, Web clipper
- Too pricey for a casual user
When you have exhausted the usefulness of pen, paper or traditional software, Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum Edition is a specialist package that's the perfect solution for keeping track of your ancestors. It's ideal for genealogy buffs, but a bit too complex, not to mention expensive, if you just want to keep track of your immediate family.
Price$ 136.26 (AUD)
With clairvoyants who say you were a great knight in the past, the interest in tracing your roots would be a lot more fascinating. Where once you would have had to store all the information, documents and photos in unwieldy spreadsheets or documents at best, or shoeboxes in the garage at worst, now software titles such as Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum Edition provide you with a simple way to store and track all that precious data.
Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum Edition is the latest addition to this range of best selling family-history software packages. It gives you an easy way of storing all the family history information in a logical, electronic, editable tree and links are given to a three-month trial subscription to Ancestry, so you can look up facts on your family's past.
This version of Family Tree Maker has a fresh, intuitive interface, as well as a host of new features. The Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum Edition now recognises the importance of the Internet in tracking down your past, and the Web clipper allows you to merge online data into your family tree.
There are also timelines, which can highlight important personal, family or even historical events that occurred during your ancestors' lives. As well as locating when things happened, new interactive maps and lists allow you to show where events happened, and to associate people and events with particular places.
As you research your family history, you will probably find a whole host of photos and potentially other media files, so Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum Edition also has the facility to attach these files to different people in your family, and to use them in charts or reports.
Once you have completed your tree, or a branch of your tree, you can create charts and tables to display all the information, and using Family Tree Maker 2008 Platinum Edition you can print these out and share them with the rest of your family.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
- Google Assistant branches out, supporting third-party hardware and smarter features
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- FTJava Technical Team LeadVIC
- FTOperations Manager - NV1 Cleared - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Business Development Manager| SMSF/Accounting SoftwareNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTPortfolio OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ProductsNSW
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCProgram SupportVIC
- FTRecord Management Support OfficerACT
- FTCapacity ManageSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst, WealthNSW
- FTNodeJS and AngularJS DeveloperQLD
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCApplication PackagerSA
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectNSW