"If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63."
Harman Kardon DVD37
- Excellent audio support, attractive design, great range of connections
- Very pricey
The DVD-37 is a good fit for a high-end home entertainment system. Those who can afford it won't be disappointed by its quality.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Harman/Kardon DVD37 is a high-end DVD player, designed to be used with similarly high-end audio and visual equipment. With its impressive range of video and audio connections, this is a player aimed squarely at advanced users, although its streamlined interface and great functionality make it a solid choice for anyone in need of a DVD player.
DVD playback worked well, and the DVD37 has all the features expected of high-end a DVD player. We tested the player using its HDMI, Component and Composite connections, and its quality was excellent. The HDMI port can output resolutions up to 720p and 1080i, delivering a sharp and clear image in these modes. In addition to HDMI, Component and Composite ports, the player also has S-Video.
Audio is one of the DVD37's real strengths though, with digital output being offered via coaxial, optical, and of course, HDMI connections. The player also has connections for 6-channel surround sound, and is compatible with major surround sound formats, including Dolby Digital and DTS. When connected to the Harman/Kardon HKTS7 speaker system via the Harman/Kardon AVR 645 receiver, we found the audio performance of the entire setup to be excellent, further highlighting how well this player works as one part of a fully-featured home entertainment setup.
Already a great choice for audiophiles, the DVD37 also provides support for the DVD-Audio MLP lossless format. It delivers excellent sound quality with impressive bass, due to the player's inbuilt bass management system.
The DVD37's design fits perfectly with its functionality - it's sleek and intuitive. A well laid-out, backlit remote control makes operating the player a breeze, and the simple menu system allows for quick and easy configuration of the player's settings. The back panel, which sports an absolute mountain of inputs and outputs, is closely packed without being cramped, while the front panel is slim and streamlined with an unobtrusive LED display.
The DVD37 is a great purchase due to its functionality and it worked very well in our tests. With excellent audio performance and a huge range of connections, the unit is perfectly suited to users looking for a high-end DVD player for their home entertainment setup. Although slightly expensive, discerning users will find it a welcome addition to their living room.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- 2 Nokia 8 Sirocco review: A unique flagship that's more of a mutation than a market-leader
- 3 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 4 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 5 Sony Xperia XA2 review: One last hurrah for OmniBalance
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia to bring Shield TV to Australian market
- Bang & Olufsen announces release date for AirPlay 2
- Sonos introduce cheaper, smarter Sonos Beam soundbar
- Computex 2018: ASUS mesh router with built-in Alexa smart speaker confirmed for Australia
- WWDC 2018: Apple TV 4K gets new features and screensavers with tvOS 12
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?