Harman Kardon HK 3490
Powerful and stylish stereo receiver.
- Powerful, clean amplification, great looks
- No universal remote
If you need a powerful stereo audio receiver, then look no further than the HK 3490. Teamed up with some capable floor-standing speakers it’s able to reproduce high-quality audio with no flaws whatsoever.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Harman Kardon is a legendary name in the home theatre business. The products it releases are by and large of exceedingly high quality. The HK 3490 is no different. It’s a stereo receiver that provides fantastically clean and crisp amplification, as well as a host of extra features that make it an attractive prospect.
It’s a great product to look at: a modern yet classy A/V component with a minimalist style. The clear, simple LCD screen is integrated into the fascia of the unit, with a hollow volume control wheel taking pride of place on the right side of the face. There are plenty of buttons — we counted 20 — on the front, but thankfully they are organised into a small row. The labels are difficult to read, but we don’t foresee these buttons being used particularly often — that’s what the complex and comprehensive remote control is for.
The remote control has plenty of buttons, but it isn’t a universal model like we’ve seen with other receivers. Unfortunately, this means it can’t be used with other products in your home cinema; if you’re really serious you’ll have access to a dedicated universal remote like the Harmony One anyway.
As you’d expect, you can switch between a multitude of audio inputs: two digital audio inputs (both coaxial and optical) as well as seven analog stereo inputs, including a phono input for connecting a record player. Only composite video switching is available, but this speaks to the HK 3940’s focused role as an audio receiver rather than a jack of all trades.
There are also several analog outputs and two subwoofer pre-outs, so you’re able to daisy-chain plenty more audio equipment if you have it. There is a connector for Harman Kardon’s Bridge II iPod dock, for easy playback from compatible Apple products like the iPod touch (2nd Generation). Also present is an AM/FM tuner which has exceptionally good reception; even in difficult conditions it was able to resolve a clear signal.
The HK 3490 can handle a continuous output of 120 Watts to two channels simultaneously. This is a great number, and it’s bolstered by the fact that Harman Kardon quotes its ratings with both channels driven — some other manufacturers make quotes with a single channel driven for bogus figures. The amplifier can handle an output from 10 Hertz all the way to a ridiculous ceiling of 110KHz. Human hearing rolls off above 20KHz at the best of times — so there’s a lot of head-room — but it’s generally accepted that higher-order harmonics from these inaudible notes filter down to audible levels. In layman’s terms, it’s never a bad thing to have such a high range of frequency response.
All this translates into perfectly smooth and powerful audio reproduction. Maybe it’s just placebo effect, but we did find higher-range treble notes a little clearer and brighter when played through the HK 3490 as opposed to our benchmark TX-SR805. We used a set of AAD M Series front speakers for our testing and while these are relatively cheap they were still able to uncover a few subtle differences in sound. The HK 3490 has more than enough dynamic range to power even the most demanding floor-standing speakers.
The receiver does get quite warm during its operation, but thankfully not hot enough that it needs to be placed separately from your other home theatre components.
With a very reasonable price of $799 the HK 3490 is a great proposition for anyone wishing to enjoy pure, simple stereo sound.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPSenior .Net Developer - 6 months contractQLD
- CCReporting Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCProgram / Project AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business Objects DeveloperACT
- TPAgile Business AnalystVIC
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- CCJava DeveloperNSW
- FTWorkforce Planning AnalystOther
- FTDatabase ConsultantOther
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorOther
- CC.Net DeveloperQLD
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCApplications PackagerNSW
- FTTransformation SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerOther
- FTLead UI Designer (Apps)NSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW