Hewlett-Packard Australia Business Inkjet 1200d
- Great price, fast printing
- Obvious banding in prints, photos print too dark
The HP Business Inkjet 1200d makes a good workhorse printer for a small office, as long as paper-handling options are more important to you than print quality.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The HP Business Inkjet 1200d is designed for small offices on a tight budget. It's cheaper than a colour laser, but it has businesslike styling, plus more paper-handling options--and a larger footprint--than most inkjets.
The 1200d's neat built-in duplexer lets you save paper by printing both sides of a sheet. The paper tray holds up to 150 sheets of plain paper, and it can also feed photo paper, envelopes and other media. An optional second tray holds 250 sheets of plain paper--handy if you frequently switch between letterhead and plain stationery, or need to fill the original tray with photo paper.
Unlike HP's consumer printers, the 1200d keeps its print heads separate from the ink cartridges. The heads need replacing less frequently than the cartridges. HP estimates that the black print head will last for 16,000 pages, and the colour print heads for 24,000 pages each.
The four inks come in individual cartridges that are larger than usual, to cope with the heavier volumes demanded by offices. Replacement cartridges are also available, but while the black cartridge's capacity is 69 millilitres, the cyan, magenta, and yellow contain only 28ml of ink each. On top of that, the starter cartridges supplied with the printer hold only about half as much ink as the replacement cartridges.
The 1200d did well in our speed tests, printing text at a snappy 6.5 pages per minute and graphics at a solid 2.6ppm. We were disappointed in the output quality, however. Text on plain paper generally looked nice and dark, but we saw obvious bands across the page. Small fonts appeared extremely blotchy, though closely spaced bold lettering was nice and distinct. Our line art sample was spoiled by very obvious banding over the entire width of the print. Plain-paper colour graphics showed similar banding, looked very grainy and lacked detail in dark areas. Images on photo paper were too dark; and while our greyscale image retained sharp detail, it had a noticeably green cast. The 1200d can't print photos without borders.
A colour setup poster and a printed startup guide come in the box. The more extensive User's Guide contains helpful colour illustrations and a good troubleshooting section.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 2 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 3 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 4 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- 5 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- FTProject Manager | Onsite ParkingOther
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- CCTechnical ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Scrum MasterVIC
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Test Automation Engineers x 3NSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTAgile Coach/Scrum MasterOther
- CCMining Planning System EngineerQLD
- FTDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- CCJunior to Mid Level Java Developer - BankingVIC
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- TPIT & Systems Support OfficerQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCSecurity Architect - BrisbaneQLD
- CCJunior to Mid-level Developer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSenior Data Quality Management OfficerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCFull Stack Developer (Angular / .Net)NSW
- FTOrganisational Change ManagerACT