Hewlett-Packard Australia Compaq nx9420
- Lightweight, Excellent Keyboard, Excellent performance, Elegant design.
- Hard drive too small.
One of the best performing notebooks we have tested, the nx9420 is a great buy.
Price$ 3,999.00 (AUD)
HP's new flagship business portable has a 17 inch WXGA screen and weighs 3.35 kilograms, so it ranks among the lightest notebooks in its category. If no other surface is available, the HP Compaq nx9420 feels perfectly comfortable perched on your lap, huge screen and all.
The nx9420's keyboard is terrific: Its mouse buttons are extremely comfortable because of their soft texture and ability to depress deeply. The separate numerical keypad is topped by a button that handily launches the Windows calculator.
The notebook's battery life is above average at 3 hours, and its speed is excellent. Equipped with the fastest of Intel's new dual processing chips (the 2.16-GHz Core Duo T2600) and 1GB of RAM, the nx9420 earned a WorldBench 5 score of 101, one of the highest marks we've ever recorded for a portable.
The nx9420's design is as elegant as its charcoal-colored case, with pale but readily discernible icons stenciled on top of the case to identify side connections, and with a plastic bottom sleeve to hold your business card.
Our review unit included a smallish 80GB hard drive (100GB is the largest size available), a fixed DVD burner, a FireWire port, four USB ports, a front-mounted seven-in-one memory card slot, and a SmartCard reader. The nx9420 lacks the great sound and music buttons of the notebook it replaces, the 2-pounds-heavier Compaq nx9600. It also omits the nx9600's side connection for HP's xb2000 docking station with stereo speakers (though it does work with a different HP docking station that offers a modular bay and an ExpressCard slot.)
Still, with its superb combination of weight and a big screen, the nx9420 will probably soon have its own loyal fans among on-the-go professionals who need a great presentation notebook.
For several hundred dollars more, you can buy "business protection services" from HP; these include such things as the company's HP Smart Desktop Management Service (for protecting multivendor networked offices with data backup and restore), Symantec Anti-Virus software, patch management, and health checks. You can also get an extended warranty featuring accidental damage protection, including pickup, fix, and delivery and covering spills, drops, and so on.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo recalls ThinkPad notebooks after overheating hazard
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Dell
- macOS High Sierra ‘root’ security issue allows admin access to your Mac—but there's a fix
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - CRMQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- CCPega Systems Architects/DevelopersACT
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject Support Officer - Mulitple RolesQLD
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCTest Analyst - SitecoreNSW
- CCInfrastructure System SpecialistQLD
- FTProject Admin / Co-ordinatorOther
- FTApplication Support Analyst- SMSF AdministratorOther
- FTService ManagementOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- CCSenior Node.js DeveloperQLD
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- FTSenior Project Coordinator, Project DeliveryOther
- FTHelpDesk Support TechnicianOther
- CCSharePoint 2013 DeveloperVIC
- CCMultiple Java Developer roles!WA
- TPWeb DeveloperQLD
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC