Hewlett-Packard Australia Photosmart Pro B9180
- Colour calibrator, pigment-based inks, HP Printer Utility allows you to install custom paper profiles directly into the printer's driver, excellent prints with colours coming out almost perfect
- It sometimes crimps one end of very thick paper when fed through the manual-feed slot
Try as we might, we couldn't come up with any significant defects in the HP Photosmart Pro B9180. The only thing we didn't like is how the printer can sometimes crimp one end of very thick paper when fed through the manual-feed slot. While we think there are definite reasons for purchasing some of the higher-priced Epson and Canon printers -- roll support, larger paper sizes, higher-production print runs -- the B9180 sits at an amazing price point for what you get. Combine the great print quality with any two of its standout features -- closed-loop calibration, sturdy construction, smartly designed software, broad media support, efficient ink life, archival print quality -- and you'd have a very good printer, indeed. But when you wrap them all up into the package that is the HP Photosmart Pro B9180, you have a great professional-quality photo printer that's priced around $1499.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
HP has supplemented the HP Photosmart Pro B9180 hardware with an excellent suite of printing and maintenance software tools. At the top of the list is a plug-in for printing directly from within Adobe Photoshop.
The plug-in offers a real-time preview of your image and lets you choose paper type, colour profile, print size, borderless options, and more from within a single window. This is the way photo printing should be, and it's a joy to use.
In addition to the plug-in, HP includes an application, HP Printer Utility, that is the dashboard for interacting with the HP Photosmart Pro B9180. The program includes realistic indicators of remaining ink capacity and useful help screens, as well as facilities for cleaning the printheads (which we never needed), printing test pages, and applying the closed-loop calibration test.
The HP Printer Utility also lets you install custom paper profiles directly into the HP Photosmart Pro B9180's driver. While being able to use custom colour profiles for a specific paper type is nothing new, HP takes most of the mystery out of it and makes it easy, letting you add your new profile directly to the paper-type menu.
There is also an application for printing photos, HP Photosmart Edit, but, given the HP Photosmart Pro B9180's target audience, we think most people will be using Photoshop or a similar program to print. One nice feature of HP Photosmart Edit, however, is for converting colour images to greyscale -- it offers a set of black-and-white transformations that mimic traditional camera filters. Photoshop's Channel Mixer has a much more sophisticated set of tools for this process, but we got good results with Photosmart Edit.
HP's manual is very instructive in helping you get the best out of the HP Photosmart Pro B9180, discussing profiles, print types, and how to use the print driver's built-in colour features as opposed to using Photoshop's colour features. Anyone new to pigment-ink printers or looking to expand their Photoshop printing knowledge will find the manual very helpful.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Manager | Initial 6 Month ContractNSW
- CCdevOps EngineerNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsNSW
- TPSecurity AdvisorACT
- FTIT Security ConsultantNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer (Cisco ASA) - Professional Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- FTManual TesterACT
- FTFrontend developerNSW
- CCPega DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTAutomation Anywhere/Robotics EngineerQLD
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- FTSenior SAP Project ManagerACT