Hewlett-Packard Australia Scanjet 5500c
- High performance
- Low quality photograph scans
With its zippy automatic document feeder, the HP Scanjet 5550c is well suited for steady OCR work, but getting the best image quality from photos requires some tweaking.
Price$ 1,098.00 (AUD)
The HP Scanjet 5550c is made to order for small-office users who want to scan multiple-page documents. We don't see many small-office scanners that offer even an optional automatic document feeder, but the 5550c comes with one that can handle up to 35 pages at a time. Assembling and installing the ADF is fairly straightforward--it's ready for work in only a few minutes. When we tried out the ADF, it took about 4.5 minutes total to scan a 15-page text document and to use optical character recognition to turn the scan into editable text. (We used the Iris OCR engine that's built into HP's Photo and Imaging software.) Of course, you can also scan photos by placing them on the glass manually.
Tested using its USB 2.0 interface, the 5550c had very good performance overall. It scanned a full-page black-and-white document at 300 dpi in just 19 seconds, which is among the fastest we've seen.
Though the main reason to choose the 5550c is to get its multipage document scanning--which it does relatively well--we were much less impressed with the quality of its photograph scans. In our print and on-screen colour tests, the 5550c produced images that looked sharp and bright overall, but some colours appeared oversaturated; our photo subject's skin tones looked much redder than in the original, for example. And the 5550c's monochrome scans seemed to drop more details (in darker areas, for instance) than scans from competing models did. However, we found that we could improve the colour accuracy and detail by making various manual adjustments with the scanner software.
The 5550c has ten shortcut buttons on its front panel. In addition to the common quick-start buttons (for scanning, attaching images to email, or sending them to a photo-sharing Web site), the 5550c also provides photocopier-like controls for scanning a document directly to your printer; you can choose colour or black-and-white printing and specify the number of copies (via a two-character LCD). An optional transparency adapter is available, as well.
Bundled software includes ScanSoft PaperPort LE 7, a document manager that does a fine job of helping you keep track of all your scans; and HP Photo and Imaging software, a suite of applications that contains image editing, photo gallery and photo printing functions. The image editing tools are limited to basics such as cropping and rotating images, and they lack advanced features (like the collage tools and special-effects filters found in most dedicated image editors). HP Scanning, the TWAIN driver, provides a streamlined basic interface for beginners and casual users, as well as easy access to advanced features like colour and tonal controls. A bonus application, Hemera Greeting Card Creator, offers easy-to-use templates for making cards with scanned images.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst - Microsoft BI Stack - NewcastleNSW
- FTManual TesterACT
- CCProgram SupportVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCSAP EAM Business Analyst / ProcessNSW
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTField Technician - Radio communication serviceACT
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- CCSplunk - Technical AnalystVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- TPSenior Project Manager | DETQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTChange Manager, Agile, WealthNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTUX / UI Designer MobileNSW
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC