Hitachi TravelStar 5K500.B 2.5in internal hard drive
An energy efficient notebook drive that provides fast transfer speeds
- Energy efficient, fast
- Doesn't do much to distinguish itself from competitors' offerings
The Hitachi 5K500.B does consume less power, but other laptop HDD manufacturers have managed to achieve the same speeds today. So unless you need the power savings or BDE (bulk drive encryption — useful for organisations), this drive doesn’t distinguish itself from the others.
Price$ 109.00 (AUD)
Laptop computers needn’t have any less storage than desktops, and this 500 GB drive from Hitachi proves it. It has a standard 2.5-inch form factor and uses two platters, with a data density of 250 GB per platter. As is usual with most such HDDs, it features a buffer size of 8 MB and spins at 5400 RPM. The fact that it uses a standard SATA II interface, is small and does not generate heat also makes it a candidate for enthusiasts to use in a desktop. Hitachi claims the power usage is reduced to 0.5W during idle and 1.4W during read/write, as against other laptop HDDs that consume 0.85W and 2.85W respectively.
Synthetic benchmarks and real world tests were run using our testbench to eliminate bottlenecks. We measured a read speed average of 65.5 megabytes per second, and write speed average of 58 MBps, and never went below a minimum of 35 MBps. These numbers put this HDD about 6 MBps faster than the average. Real world file read/write speeds stood at 77.3 MBps for a single large file (6.42 GB), but fell to 66.4 MBps as expected when copying multiple smaller files (800 files totalling up to 6.36 GB). Transferring files from one partition to another on the same drive was at an average of 24 MBps. This means the drive’s real world read/write speeds are 10 MBps higher than the average, but moving files between partitions is slow by the same extent. Both read and write access times averaged at 18.4 ms which is slightly slower than the average of 17ms for most other such drives. Under normal operating conditions, the drive is inaudible unless you press your ear to it.
The Hitachi 5K500.B does consume less power, but other laptop HDD manufacturers have managed to achieve quite the same speeds today. So unless you need the power savings or BDE (bulk drive encryption — useful for organisations), this drive doesn’t distinguish itself from the others.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCPMO Resource ManagerNSW
- CCLinux / Devops EngineerNSW
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- FTEnd User Support OfficerSA
- FTTechnical writerNSW
- FTCRM Siebel DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - SuperannuationOther
- FTUX Designer | Mobile App | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCDesktop Support Analyst / EngineerNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- CCSenior Reporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- CCProgram Evaluation ManagerNSW
- FTSAP BW/BI DeveloperVIC
- TPSharePoint Business AnalystVIC
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware ArchitectACT
- FTAPI Developer / Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC