HP ElitePad 900 Windows 8 tablet (preview)
The ElitePad 900 is a Windows 8 tablet designed for business users
- Plenty of expansion options
- Light and well built
- Removable battery and second battery option
- Won't know until we test it.
HP is targeting the business market with its ElitePad 900 Windows 8-based tablet. It runs an Intel Atom SoC processor and plenty of management, security and expansion options available.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
The ElitePad 900 is a Windows 8 tablet that has been designed strictly with business users in mind. It puts a focus on security features and manageability, it conforms to military standards for drops, dust, vibration, temperature and altitude, and there is an array of 'jackets' available that can add features or battery life to the tablet. At the same time, it's a slender and lightweight device that feels comfortable in the hand.
A 10.1in diagonal size and a sub-10mm thickness make the ElitePad 900 easy to handle and it weighs a smidgin under 700g in its default state (that is, without any jackets). It has a machined body that is made out of aluminium, while Gorilla Glass 2 sits on the front to protect the screen. There isn't much to be seen around the edges of the tablet, except for the volume buttons on the right-hand side, the docking connector and speakers on the bottom, and the power button, rotation lock and headphone jack at the top. There are also concealed SIM and micro SD card slots. Cameras are located on the front and the back; the rear (out-facing) auto-focusing camera has an 8-megapixel sensor and a flash, while the front (user-facing) camera has a resolution of 1080p.
More functionality can be added to the ElitePad 900 through the use of 'jackets'. These jackets cover the edges of the tablet entirely and can be used to supply extra features. One of the jackets, called the Expansion Jacket has two USB 2.0 ports, HDMI and an SD card slot. This jacket also has a slot for an optional second battery, which can boost the tablets life to 20 hours. Another jacket is the Productivity Jacket, which includes an integrated, hard-wired keyboard along with USB and SD ports. The Jackets add a couple of millimetres to the tablet's width and thickness, with more bulk being added to the bottom to facilitate ports and other features.
Conveniently, the jackets can also work with the ElitePad's docking station — you don't have to take the jackets off if you want to dock the ElitePad 900 on your desk. The dock has a lot of mass and sits heavily on a desk. This means that you can lift the tablet out of the dock with one hand and the dock won't lift up off the table with it. This also means that heavy cables won't topple the unit when they are plugged in to the dock. Around the edges of this dock you get four USB 2.0 ports, an audio jack, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI, VGA, power and a cable lock facility.
On the inside, the ElitePad 900 runs a 1.8GHz, Intel Atom Z2760 SoC (system on a chip) processor, 2GB of RAM, and storage is handled by a solid state drive up to 64GB. Along with the micro SD card slot, which can be used to install another 64GB of storage, and with the SD card slot located on the Expansion Jacket, the ElitePad 900 can be configured to supply up to 192GB of storage.
The screen is an IPS-based panel that is protected by Gorilla Glass 2 and it has a resolution of 1280x800. HP says that is has been designed with this resolution in order to cater for traditional business applications and says the fact that the screen won't support Windows 8's Snap feature for new-style apps shouldn't be an issue for business users. It's a multi-touch, capacitive display, but there is an option for a digitiser pen for users who need better handwriting support.
Security and management features are what should drive take up of this tablet and others like it in the business world. To this end, it features a trusted platform module, NFC with secure element tokens and its Gigabit Ethernet option features PXE, which allows the tablet to be booted and managed over the network when it's connected. Furthermore, the battery is removable and the unit is serviceable. Other features include data encryption, BIOS protection and optional anti-theft and tracing services.
You also get 802.11n, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 and integrated mobile broadband. HP says that LTE will be available in the future, too.
Pricing for the ElitePad 900 will start at $899 and it will be available in early 2013.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Samsung announces a new ruggedised Tablet optimised for business users
- Samsung Introduces the New Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0
- Alcatel PLUS 12 Takes Portable Productivity to New Heights with First 2-In-1
- Tech Timeline: The iPad first goes on sale
- New 9.7-inch iPad teardown reveals it's basically an original iPad Air with minor tweaks
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial ServicesQLD
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Change Analyst - ERP implementationOther
- CCSenior System Engineer l Office 365,Windows 10, VMWare WorkspaceNSW
- CCApplication Support Analyst - Level 2QLD
- FTAgile Scrum Master/Project ManagerOther
- CCSix Sigma Process Improvement Consultant (Black Belt) - Sydney - TelcoNSW
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- FTSitecore Developer/ArchitectOther
- CCNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- FTICT Team Lead - EL1 -Non-OngoingACT
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- CCMachine Learning SpecialistACT
- CCMobile Transmission Planning Engineer x 3NSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTInside Sales Representative - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- CCUser Experience DesignerSA