HP iPAQ 212
- Excellent, vibrant display; CF and SD card slots for extra storage; solid performance
- No built-in GPS, design is a little large and bulky, external speaker volume could have been louder
The iPAQ's VGA display alone makes it an excellent PDA while the dual-storage slots make it easy to upgrade memory. This is a solid, high-end device for professionals.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Although smartphones have emerged as the ideal mobile device in recent years, there are still many consumers who would prefer to keep their phone separate. Sporting a gorgeous VGA display and dual memory card slots, HP's latest enterprise PDA is ideal for both business and entertainment use.
The first thing you'll notice about this unit is the size of the display. Measuring 4in, the iPAQ 212 has a VGA resolution of 640x480. It's one of the best displays we've seen on a mobile device, with vibrant colours and sharp performance. The touch interface operates almost flawlessly and despite the presence of a stylus, you shouldn't have to use it as much as most other PDAs and smartphones.
The downside of the large display is the fact that the unit itself is quite large. It's thick and heavy and doesn't really sit comfortably in your hand. That being said, we think the advantage of the large VGA display outweighs the negatives of the bulky form factor – after all, HP has targeted this device at enterprise and business users.
Aesthetically, the gloss black plastic is a nice touch, even if it does pick up plenty of fingerprints, while the silver sides and matte black rear complement the rest of the unit nicely. Below the display are a set of controls; a comfortable five-way navigational pad surrounded by dedicated buttons for calendar, Start, OK and e-mail means this unit is very easy to operate.
The iPAQ 212 runs the Windows Mobile 6 Classic OS, so it naturally features Office Mobile, consisting of mobile versions of Excel, PowerPoint and Word. There is also a PDF viewer, calendar, organiser, contacts list and a mobile version of Windows Live Messenger. The iPAQ 212 is a solid e-mail device, offering support for a variety of account types including standard POP3 accounts (Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo! Mail).
For connectivity, the iPAQ 212 is well equipped, sporting Wi-Fi 801.11b/g as well as Bluetooth 2.0 allowing you to synchronise with a variety of devices. We found the signal stayed strong and the Internet operated speedily on our local office network, though we'd advise downloading the Opera Mobile browser if you plan to surf the Internet on this unit – it's much easier on the eye than Internet Explorer. A standard mini-USB port is located at the bottom of the device, alongside a proprietary connector that will be used for future accessories such as docks.
The 212 is powered by a 624MHz Marvell PXA310 processor and 256MB of ROM, making it quite a speedy unit. Switching between running applications is swift, while start up time is minimal. We also didn't experience much lag while using the unit. Memory expansion is excellent, the iPAQ 212 having both a CompactFlash card slot, as well as an SD card slot. This means you can effectively have a 32GB card in each slot for a total of 64GB of flash storage.
The presence of a standard 3.5mm headphone jack is a blessing for multimedia and A2DP Bluetooth means you can stream your music to a compatible set of Bluetooth headphones if you wish. Video looks crisp and vibrant on the display, but there is no camera included and the external speaker could have been much louder in volume.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Huawei go big on AI, announce Mate 10 + Mate 10 Pro
- Huawei's flagship tech trickles down to mid-tier with new Nova 2i smartphone
- Incipio Adds Pixel 2 Cases To Roster
- Survey: 20% of Aussie Apple users wouldn't switch to Android for a million dollars
- Tech21 Announces New Phone Protection For Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 2 XL
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- CCCRM Support DeveloperWA
- FTAccount ManagerACT
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTAPI LeadOther
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTJava DevelopersSA
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTSenior Capacity PlannerVIC
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCTosca Test AutomationVIC
- CCProcess Improvement Manager (Black Belt)NSW
- CCIdentity & Access Management ArchitectVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTLead Strategy Manager - ConsultancyOther
- FTSenior Systems Analyst - Network/InfrastructureOther
- FTSenior Salesforce Systems AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- CCSite Acquisition CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior SAP Training LeadOther