HP LaserJet P2055dn laser printer
A fast HP laser printer that produces good quality documents
- Fast printing, fantastic print quality, good security features
- Web interface is sparse, IP address must be printed
The HP LaserJet P2055dn monochrome laser printer is small, fast and produces high quality documents. Costlier printers offer more extensive network features, but the LaserJet P2055dn is great value at this price.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
If you need to print good quality monochrome documents quickly, HP's LaserJet P2055dn laser printer is certainly up to the job. It also has some security features that suit small networks and a "quiet mode".
The $899 LaserJet P2055dn mono laser printer adds automatic duplexing and a $100 premium to the HP P2055n base model. It has a 250-sheet paper tray and an additional multi-purpose tray; the HP LaserJet P2055x offers a paper capacity of 800 sheets. The printer comes standard with 128MB of memory, which is user-upgradeable to 384MB through a removable side panel. USB and Ethernet connections are both available.
It has a two-line, monochrome LCD and default print density settings can be changed from the printer itself. You can also access a cleaning mode that helps to eradicate dust build-up in the printer's movable parts, separately reset firewall and security settings to factory defaults, and choose whether the printer's Web server uses the HTTP or HTTPS (secure HTTP) protocol. Unfortunately, a network configuration report must be printed to determine the initial IP address it has been assigned.
The Web-based interface is sparse, with statistics and the consumables status being the most useful aspects. Using the interface, default print settings can be configured, and administrators can set up the LaserJet P2055dn mono laser printer's firewall policy. 802.1X authentication security is also included; this can also be found on competing printers like the Fuji Xerox Phaser 3435DN.
Print quality settings are separated into 600dpi, 1200dpi FastRes and 1200dpi ProRes modes. Though both the FastRes and ProRes resolutions are 1200dpi, the latter produces higher quality documents at a slower pace. At its fastest — using either the 600dpi or FastRes 1200dpi setting — the HP LaserJet P2055dn prints the first page of a document in an average 9.5sec and subsequent pages at a rate of 35 pages per minute (ppm).
It takes an average of 14.4sec for the first page to come out when using ProRes. The printer pauses on every second page. As a result the printer only takes 2.5sec to print a single page but the overall speed is closer to 14.7ppm; roughly four seconds per page.
HP has included a quiet mode on the LaserJet P2055dn mono laser printer. It does make it less noisy but it affects print speed, which slowed from 35ppm to 17.6ppm.
When using the ProRes setting you can also choose the preferred line density; a feature usually reserved for $2000+ mono laser printers like the HP LaserJet P4015n. When using these settings, the printer employs half-tones to increase the number of lines it prints in a given area, resulting in highly accurate documents.
Documents printed at the highest quality setting — ProRes 1200dpi at 180lpi line density — are very pleasing. Test characters are clean and have pinpoint accuracy.
With high yield cartridges installed, the LaserJet P2055dn mono laser printer costs an average of 4.8c per A4 page, which is certainly an appealing price for a mid-range printer.
Costlier printers offer more networking and security features, but the HP LaserJet P2055dn does offer fast print speeds. Its high line density settings make it a reasonably priced mid-range model for high quantity printing.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital Announces Acquisition of Upthere
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- New development for Western Digital
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Start-up sells a stamp-sized Linux server for $5
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Higher EducationOther
- FTLead Front End DeveloperOther
- FTBig Data DeveloperOther
- FTUX Designer | 9mth ContractOther
- FTUX Designer | Mobile App | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- TPProgram Manager - Managed ServicesQLD
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperOther
- CCOrganisational Change & Deployment SpecialistVIC
- FTData ScientistOther
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- FT.Net Developer - Multiple positions availableSA
- FTSecurity ArchitectOther
- TPSenior Project Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTUser Experience (UX) SpecialistACT
- FTScheduling and Reporting Analyst | 3mth ContractOther
- CCIteration Lead - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCJunior and Senior SQL DeveloperACT
- FTAdministrator - Network InfrastructureOther