HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw colour laser multifunction
This $799 HP colour laser printer has a fax, wireless networking and good print quality
- Good document print quality, high cartridge page yield and duty cycle, intuitive touchscreen interface
- Print speeds slightly slower than competitors, slow initial page output
The HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw performs well as a document printer -- apart from the time it takes to print the first page of a document. It offers useful features like a fax and wireless networking.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw is a multifunction colour laser printer with a fax and integrated wireless networking. It’s not the fastest document printer you can purchase for your office, but it is fully featured and easy to operate.
HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw: Design, setup and operation
The HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw is a bulky printer. It’s as tall as it is wide and deep, with a bottom-loading 150 sheet A4 paper tray and a top-mounted A4 flatbed scanner. A swinging door on the front provides easy access to the toner cartridges — there are four, with a monochrome cartridge joined by individual magenta, cyan and yellow inserts.
While larger offices will likely opt for the more secure and reliable wired Ethernet connection, the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw has integrated 802.11b/g/n wireless networking which might be of interest to smaller or more tech-savvy offices. USB 2.0 is also included for direct PC connection.
The HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw has a 3.5in colour touchscreen display. Navigating through menus and using the printer’s scan/copy/fax functions are simple thanks to an intuitive, icon-based interface.
HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw: Print speed and quality
HP quotes print speeds of 8 colour A4 pages per minute in Normal mode and 12 ppm when printing monochrome. We achieved these speeds when printing documents of 50 pages or more, but the LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw is hamstrung by its long pause before the initial page is printed. If you’re only printing off a single page document, it takes around 30sec before the process is completed — which is slow even by comparison to budget laser printers like the Fuji Xerox Phaser 3160N.
Print quality is impressive. Text is clean and very smooth until 6pt sizes are reached. Similarly, colour documents are reproduced with smooth colours and no visible banding. If you want to produce high quality reports or documents the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw’s output is more than acceptable. As you’d expect, printing photos with the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw does not produce results comparable with a high quality inkjet like the [artnid:359641|Canon PIXMA MG5150 inkjet multifunction]].
HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw: Consumable cost and environmental policy
The HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw uses four separate toner cartridges — HP’s 128A CE320A black, CE321A cyan, CE323A magenta and CE322A yellow. Buying all four will set you back $386.23, which translates into an overall running cost of 5c per A4 page for monochrome and 7.3c per A4 page for colour documents. High volume users will be pleased with a rated duty cycle of 30,000 pages per month.
HP runs a number of environmental initiatives including recycling of empty toner cartridges. The company's environmental policy claims that it aims to minimise its products' energy consumption to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, with yearly goals and updated progress reports.
The HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw produces good-looking A4 monochrome and colour documents. It is good for direct printing, scanning and copying thanks to a useful touchscreen interface, but its output speeds are eclipsed by cheaper printers. As a business all-in-one colour laser printer it is generally competent.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Large CorporateOther
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystACT
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- CCProcess LeadNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- TPTest Automation ProgrammerNSW
- FTMicrosoft CRM Dynamics Consultant (Mid level)Other
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Java Developer - marketsVIC
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- FTSOE ArchitectOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperSA
- CCJunior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTJunior-Mid Infra Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Agile / DigitalOther
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - 3D, VR, WebGLNSW
- FTMiddleware System AdministratorACT
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther