HP Officejet 4500 multifunction printer
This mid-range HP small business printer has an integrated automatic document scanner
- Useful 20-sheet automatic document feeder, fast monochrome A4 print speeds in draft mode
- Slow colour and monochrome printing in regular quality print mode, no memory card ports, single-line screen doesn't display much information
If you're a business user who wants a cheap option for scanning or copying multi-page documents -- and if you don't mind mediocre quality draft prints -- the HP Officejet 4500 is hard to fault. Its consumable costs are reasonable, installation is easy and maintenance is simple.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The HP Officejet 4500 is a multifunction inkjet printer aimed at small businesses. It can print black and white documents and colour pages quickly in draft quality settings, and the top-loading 20-page automatic document feeder is a boon for quickly scanning or copying multi-page documents. If overall print quality isn’t the most important requirement for your business, the Officejet 4500 is a strong performer in other areas.
Setting up the HP Officejet 4500 is a simple task. It has a USB 2.0 port as well as 10/100 Ethernet for connecting the printer to a wired office network — we opted for USB to directly connect a MacBook Pro notebook and install drivers on Mac OS X (although Windows 7, XP and Vista drivers are bundled on the same disc). After installing the print cartridges the HP OfficeJet 4500 runs through a quick alignment process and is ready for printing within a few minutes.
When printing a 60-page monochrome document we were able to achieve a speed close to HP's quoted rate of 28 sheets per minute, with an average wait of around 2.3 seconds between pages. Shorter runs suffer because of the slight delay before the initial page prints. Switching to normal quality affects print speeds severely — our 20-page colour PDF document took a total of 5min 32sec to print, which is a print speed of just under 4 pages per minute. This is on par with mid-range multifunctions like the Canon MP550.
The HP Officejet 4500 is one of the cheapest multifunction inkjet printers we’ve seen that also incorporates an automatic document feeder, which makes multi-page document scanning an easy task. If you’ve got a filing cabinet full of old documents that you’d like to do away with, using a device like the Officejet 4500 could save a lot of time and frustration. It’s not a particularly speedy process to photocopy multiple sheets using the ADF, with A4 prints coming out at an average of one every 20 seconds, but it is convenient.
Running costs for the HP Officejet 4500 are acceptable unless you’re printing excessively high volumes — in which case a laser might be a better choice. Retail pricing for the HP 901 black cartridge is $24.45, while the tri-colour cartridge is $36.95 — this makes the ongoing running cost 12.2c per A4 black page and 10.3c per A4 colour page.
If multi-page scanning/copying and fast print speeds (albeit at mediocre quality settings) are important to you, the HP Officejet 4500 delivers at a low initial price.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTIntegration DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- CCPortal DeveloperNSW
- CCFront-end DeveloperNSW
- TPICT Portfolio AnalystNSW
- PTDigital PublisherNSW
- CCPython DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Procurement ManagerNSW
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- FTFrontend Developer - Angular4/FirebaseNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCReporting Business AnalystNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTProject Manager, Relocation, Fitout & ConstructionOther
- TPProject Manager - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCMaximo DeveloperNSW
- TPMaster Data OfficerQLD
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Dynamics AX DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Performance AnalystACT
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- FTInside Sales Representative - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC