HTC Velocity 4G Android phone
HTC Velocity 4G review: Australia's first 4G smartphone is fast, but coverage is limited
- 4G speeds and HSPA+ dual-channel
- Excellent build quality
- Good performance
- 4G coverage is limited
- Android 4.0 update in progress
The HTC Velocity 4G is definitely the fastest phone on the Australian market, even when you're outside of a 4G coverage zone. However, we don't feel the speed increase is significant enough to warrant choosing it over some of its competitors. Putting aside 4G, the HTC Velocity is an excellent smartphone, but it offers largely the same features we've seen in HTC phones over the past six months.
Price$ 864.00 (AUD)
HTC Velocity 4G: Software and performance
The HTC Velocity 4G looks and works like much like most other HTC phones. It runs the Android 2.3 "Gingerbread" OS and is skinned with HTC's Sense UI. While Sense has plenty of eye candy including fancy scrolling animations and home screen widgets, we much prefer Google's vanilla UI. This will come down to a matter of personal opinion though: if you like the software on HTC's current Android phones then you'll definitely appreciate it on the Velocity 4G.
All the usual features of HTC Sense are available on the Velocity 4G. You can remove home screens if you don't use them (there are seven by default), the lock screen comes with four customisable shortcuts, along with the ability to display a widget in the middle of the screen, and there's also a 3D rotating effect when scrolling between home screens. Your eight most recently opened applications, quick settings toggles and a link to all phone settings all remain at the top of the notifications panel.
A 1.5GHz dual-core processor makes the Velocity 4G a fast phone, but performance should only improve once it is upgraded to the latest version of Google's Android software, 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich". One of the major improvements in the new software is Web page rendering and faster loading times in the browser. Telstra says the Velocity 4G should be upgraded to ICS "within six weeks", though we wouldn't hold our breath for that exact time frame.
HTC Velocity 4G: Camera, battery life, availability
The HTC Velocity 4G has an excellent camera. It's an 8-megapixel, backside-illuminated sensor that promises better low light photos. We found the dual-LED flash washed out many of our photos, but colour reproduction is a highlight. The camera app starts almost instantly and is quick to snap successive photos, though it's admittedly not as quick as the shutter on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The camera doubles as a full HD 1080p video recorder, while the 1.2-megapixel front camera impressively records 720p HD video.
The HTC Velocity 4G has below average battery life: it struggled to last a full day with constant 4G coverage, though you should be able to get almost a day of use if you're in a regular 3G coverage zone. We've become accustomed to charging our smartphones before the end of the day, and the Velocity 4G is no exception.
The HTC Velocity 4G is available for $0 upfront on Telstra's $79 Freedom Connect plan, which includes $800 worth of calls and MMS, unlimited SMS and 2GB of data per month. month. The Velocity 4G is also available on a number of business plans.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTPMO Project Coordinator, Multiple projectsOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTChange ManagerSA
- FTPageUp BAOther
- CCAxway DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness Intelligence Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTDeployment TechnicianVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Blue Chip ClientOther
- FTSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTNetwork PlannerOther
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- FTUnix/Linux EngineersOther
- FTSupply Master Data AnalystOther
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- FTService Desk Technical LeadNSW
- CCIntegration AnalystNSW
- CCProcess LeadNSW
- TPSAP BW ConsultantQLD
- FTSystem AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTChange Analyst, Transformation, SAPOther
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther