HyperX Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset: Gaming in stereo has never sounded so good
- Extra comfy
- Dual chamber design
- Very similar design if you've already own a HyperX headset
- Only 2.1-channel stereo sound
HyperX's Cloud Alpha gaming headset feels like it might be their best effort yet. Even if it is also their most expensive.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The gaming accessory market is nothing if not crowded. However, over the last few years, Kingston’s gaming brand HyperX has made solid headway within it. Despite big, well-established competition, they’ve quickly distinguished themselves as a brand that delivers solid products with the features that customers care about. What’s more, they've been able to do it while maintaining pretty competitive pricing.
However, in the face of that already-impressive track-record, their new HyperX Cloud Alpha gaming headset feels like it could well be their best effort yet. Even if it is also their most expensive.
At first glance, the Cloud Alpha looks a lot like the other headsets that HyperX have on their roster - specifically, the original Cloud and Cloud II. However, below the more-vibrant (rose red paired with a stark black) exterior lies some new tech that distinguishes from what’s come before in a pretty major way.
Unlike the company’s past efforts, the Cloud Alpha headphones incorporate a unique dual chamber design that promises to deliver gaming soundscapes with both incredible range and more accurate tone. HyperX claim this feature allows the Alpha to easily separate the bass frequencies from the mids and highs, creating a more dynamic sound that’ll make gaming experiences much more immersive.
The HyperX Cloud Alpha is a wired gaming headset with an aluminum frame and padded memory foam earcups. It boasts a dual-chambered design and a detachable boom mic that comes both TeamSpeak and Discord Certified.
The Cloud Alpha delivers 2.1-channel stereo audio via 50mm drivers with neodymium magnets and a has a frequency range of 13Hz–27,000Hz. It also comes with a two year warranty and carry pouch.
Of course, before we get to whether or not the dual chamber audio technology lives up to the hype - it’s worth touching on the design. As touched on before,the Cloud Alpha looks a LOT like the original Cloud. However, there are a few key differences and improvements to be found.
For one, the Cloud Alpha now features an expanded headband featuring softer, more pliable leatherette. As someone who’s spent a lot of time with the older Cloud headphones, they were noticeably more comfortable to wear. Specifically, the earcup padding feels much better cushioned this time around as well.
The Cloud Alpha comes with a detachable microphone and audio cable with inline control. This means It’ll work with PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Mac, Mobile, Nintendo Switch and select virtual reality systems. Basically, anything with a 3.5mm port. No matter your platform of choice, HyperX have tried to make sure you're covered . Unlike certain other gaming brands, there’s no meaningless dichotomy between console and PC gaming headsets to be found here.
Last but not least, it's worth mentioning the simple-but-appealing fabric carry-case that comes bundled with the Alpha. It's a small inclusion but it does add a nice premium touch to the accessory when not in use.
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Intel expects PCs with fast 5G wireless to ship in late 2019
- Huawei Unveils First Car To Be Driven By AI-Powered Smartphone
- OPPO Launches Free Screen Repairs for Latest Devices
- Netgear announces local availability for Nighthawk X4S Wi-Fi extender
- Samsung Partners With Commonwealth Bank
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- FTOracle DBA - Permanent PositionQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior BAOther
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTPlatform Architect - Infrastructure/CloudVIC
- CCWintel Server & SOE EngineerNSW
- FTSupport Services Manager - SaaSOther
- FTUnity DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTPaid Search StrategistOther
- FTSystems Performance ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Procurement ManagerNSW
- FTTest LeadNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Financial ServicesQLD
- CCAutomation TesterVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- TPLead Engineer - .Net / XamarinQLD
- FTTraining & Communications SpecialistOther
- FTCheckpoint Engineers wantedVIC
- FTPlatform DesignerOther
- FTOrganisational Change ManagerOther
- FTSecurity EngineerNSW