Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 955
- Top Intel performance
- Lacking compared to AMD, Expensive
Intel pulled out all the stops with this processor and it certainly is a good one, but it does not do enough to knock AMD off the performance pedestal.
Price$ 1,700.00 (AUD)
Intel's flagship Pentium Processor Extreme Edition (EE) 955 dual-core CPU is the first Intel desktop chip to feature the 65 nanometre (nm) architecture. This architecture means that more (and smaller) transistors can be used to improve the CPU's performance and power efficiency - it's a generation ahead of AMD's 90nm architecture, which AMD still uses for its latest dual-core chips. However, test results reveal that this new architecture does not bring the EE 955 as close to the performance of AMD's flagship dual-core CPU, the Athlon 64 FX-60, as it should.
In our multi-tasking test, the EE 955 took 495sec, while the Athlon FX-60 took 354sec. In Adobe Premiere testing, the EE 955 ran through an editing task in 430sec, 100sec longer than what it took the FX-60. Considering the specifications of the EE 955, it should probably be the fastest CPU on the market.
We tested it in an ASUS P5WD2-E motherboard with 2GB of DDR2 memory, a 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE hard drive and an ATI Radeon X1900XT graphics adapter. The same configuration was used for the Athlon CPU, save for the motherboard (ASUS A8N32-SLI) and memory (2GB DDR).
An Intel 955X or 975X chipset-based motherboard can be used to run this CPU, and it also requires a beefy power supply as it can consume up to 130-watts. The EE 955 consumes less power than its predecessor, the 90nm-based EE 840 CPU, but it still uses more power than the 90nm FX-60.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Logitech say new mouse features the best optical sensor ever designed for wireless gaming
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
- HyperX Unveil Heavy-Duty Gaming Keyboard
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTProject OfficerOther
- CCData ArchitectNSW
- CCPeopleSoft Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerQLD
- TPAnalyst ProgrammerSA
- TPTechnical Support Officer (Unix/Linux, Windows and Mac)VIC
- TPAgile Business AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTDigital Project ManagerWA
- FTUX Designer | Mobile App | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- FTTransformation SpecialistQLD
- TPSAP Process ControlQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- FTSAP HR / PAYROLL SPECIALISTACT
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- FTTransition/ Transformation ExecutiveVIC
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- FTSenior DevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther