Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 955
- Top Intel performance
- Lacking compared to AMD, Expensive
Intel pulled out all the stops with this processor and it certainly is a good one, but it does not do enough to knock AMD off the performance pedestal.
Price$ 1,700.00 (AUD)
Intel's flagship Pentium Processor Extreme Edition (EE) 955 dual-core CPU is the first Intel desktop chip to feature the 65 nanometre (nm) architecture. This architecture means that more (and smaller) transistors can be used to improve the CPU's performance and power efficiency - it's a generation ahead of AMD's 90nm architecture, which AMD still uses for its latest dual-core chips. However, test results reveal that this new architecture does not bring the EE 955 as close to the performance of AMD's flagship dual-core CPU, the Athlon 64 FX-60, as it should.
In our multi-tasking test, the EE 955 took 495sec, while the Athlon FX-60 took 354sec. In Adobe Premiere testing, the EE 955 ran through an editing task in 430sec, 100sec longer than what it took the FX-60. Considering the specifications of the EE 955, it should probably be the fastest CPU on the market.
We tested it in an ASUS P5WD2-E motherboard with 2GB of DDR2 memory, a 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE hard drive and an ATI Radeon X1900XT graphics adapter. The same configuration was used for the Athlon CPU, save for the motherboard (ASUS A8N32-SLI) and memory (2GB DDR).
An Intel 955X or 975X chipset-based motherboard can be used to run this CPU, and it also requires a beefy power supply as it can consume up to 130-watts. The EE 955 consumes less power than its predecessor, the 90nm-based EE 840 CPU, but it still uses more power than the 90nm FX-60.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- G.SKILL Releases New AMD Compatible Trident Z RGB kits
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorVIC
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- CCLead Service Designer - CANBERRA BASEDVIC
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Large CorporateOther
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantNSW
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTNet DeveloperACT
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC
- FTCampaign AnalystOther
- CCAngular DevelopersACT
- FTSenior Data AnalystOther
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- FTApp Support Tech LeadQLD
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer - DigitalVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer - Firewalls (Juniper )Other
- FTSenior Systems Analyst - Network/InfrastructureOther
- FTSenior Full Stack .NET DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst (SAP Application )Other