Inventa PCI HDTV
- Excellent picture, good timeshifting
- Difficult installation, scheduler hard to find, tuning requires effort
It's cheap, yet it performs well.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
This digital tuner from Inventa is very cheap, and should be considered a bargain.
Our first impressions were mixed, as it took a fair bit of effort to install this card. In the box with the card you will find a program called MyTheatre, which needs to be registered with the distributor (Inventa) before it can be used in an unlimited capacity (it is time-limited to one hour without registration). During tuning, it took us a few tries before we could locate Nine Network broadcasts, and even when we did, we could not view them all the time. We could view all other channels properly and the picture quality of SD and HD channels was excellent.
MyTheatre has a well-sectioned interface with control functions and current channel information located at the bottom of the TV display and channels listed to the right. With MyTheatre, you can record programs either by manually hitting the record button, using the scheduler (which can also launch the program, if it's closed, at the nominated recording time) or you can timeshift a live program by pressing the pause button.
Timeshifting is enabled by default in MyTheatre, and is set to record data to a 10MB file in your system's RAM. While handy to have it always on, this file size is conservative. From the settings menu you can change this value and you can elect to have timeshifting use a file on your hard drive to store its data instead. You can make this file as big as you desire. If you want to continue using the RAM setting for timeshifting, be careful not to make the size too big as you may find yourself running out of RAM quickly and crashing your system.
All up, we like this card's price and we think its software is OK, even though its interface does have a few quirks, such as the scheduler being hidden away in the right-click menu instead of in the main settings area, which itself contains a mixed salad of functions. We also liked the documentation that ships with this card--it explains how to use all of the major functions of MyTheatre.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
- MSI AM4 Motherboards are now ready for new AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors
- Intel Xeon D-2100 set to enable new capabilities for cloud, network and service providers
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- FT.NET MVC Developer- Angular JS v1.x, 2.x and 4.0Other
- CCLead Developer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCBusiness Strategy Analyst - Financial Services - Based in BrisbaneVIC
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst (IAM & Cyber Security)Other
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTPresales Project ManagerOther
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTAngularJS DeveloperOther
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCNetwork Engineer l MPLS, switching, BGP, OSPF, MPBGPNSW
- FTGraduate Machine Learning/Data Science-Expression Of InterestOther
- FTIT Security ConsultantSA
- FTMarketing Analyst - $60 phOther
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystQLD
- FTSenior AWS Cloud SpecialistsOther
- CCCyber Security ArchtiectQLD
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- TPJunior Service Desk AnalystQLD