Iolo Technologies System Mechanic 6
- Powerful tools, Easy to use, Very effective
- Some features are painfully slow.
System Mechanic 6 is a fine addition to any PC optimisation arsenal
Price$ 65.95 (AUD)
Once the maker of one of the best PC cleaning and optimization tools on the market, Iolo Technologies had slipped a bit in recent years, turning out mediocre versions of its flagship System Mechanic software. We're happy to see that System Mechanic 6 is substantially better than the two prior versions.
System Mechanic's original appeal was its promise to make your system run quicker and leaner, with simple, easy-to-use tools. This version answers that promise with an informative interface. Most striking about the shipping version we tested are the colourful audio-volume-style meters that display your computer's overall health and security status at a glance. We also appreciated the applications logical layout, which should provide novices with fast access to the most important tools for cleaning out junk files, optimizing the Registry, speeding Windows' startup, repairing hard-drive problems, and killing spyware. Drilling down to the more expert tools is intuitive, though most people will probably never get around to them. The basic tools are that good.
Below the meters is a box with six items detailing where your machine is in good, or bad, shape. The first four -- Clutter, Speed, Safety, and Fitness -- tell you which major repair tools you should run to optimize your system. The two other items are for maintenance: Update indicates whether System Mechanic is fully updated, while Active Care lets you know whether an automated maintenance schedule has been set up.
You can run repair tools directly from within this box or use the Power Tools buttons on the right side of the application's interface.
The first of these buttons is the all-in-one PC TotalCare tool. This is a good place to start if your machine has a lot of problems, because the tool runs all the most important repair and optimization applications with a single mouse click. However, it is extremely slow; painfully so. We jumped immediately to the PC Cleanup tool which quickly found -- and eliminated -- a gigabyte's worth of Windows temporary files, cookies, and cached Web pages.
The PC Accelerator tool is my favorite part of System Mechanic 6. This tool optimises your Internet connection settings, removes any unnecessary programs that crank up when Windows starts, defragments your hard drives and system memory, and compacts the Windows Registry. We used the last major tool, PC Repair, to fix broken shortcuts and to delete spyware apps and invalid uninstallers. After we used the tool, System Mechanic declared our PC in tip-top shape, but shortly thereafter a system-tray icon reported that my machine's health and performance could stand improvement. However, when we restarted System Mechanic, it found no problems to fix.
Beyond this modest issue, we didn't run into any problems, which leads me to recommend System Mechanic 6 as a fine addition to any PC optimisation arsenal.
Join the newsletter!
A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCERP Technical AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- CCNetwork Area Planner x multiple opportunitiesNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCData Warehouse Project Manager - Start June 18QLD
- CCProgram DirectorNSW
- CCScrum MasterACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- CCSalesforce Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- FTPronto Systems Support SpecialistVIC
- TPHR Process AnalystVIC
- TPDBA/Data Migration AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Release ManagerQLD
- TPProject Support Officer - Mulitple RolesQLD
- FTDesktop Engineer Level 1 - 2Other
- FTTechnical LeadQLD
- CCAgile Project ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork AdministratorVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- FTSalesforce CRM Scrum Product OwnerOther
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther