System Mechanic 7.5
- Most of the functions can be scheduled, intuitive, optimises your startup files and system memory
- Our Internet connection didn't seem to be any faster after it was tweaked; much of what the tune-up portion of the program does is automate tasks that an advanced Windows user can do using built-in Windows utilities
If you're not comfortable delving into Windows utilities, the regular version of Iolo System Mechanic can easily pay for itself, helping you avoid forking over big bucks for a professional to clean up an aging, sluggish Windows installation. More-advanced users should spring for the Iolo System Mechanic Pro version to get their money's worth.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Iolo System Mechanic backs up, repairs, and compacts the Windows Registry; protects against spyware; optimises startup files and system memory; and tweaks Internet connection settings.
Iolo's System Mechanic, now in version 7.5, has been garnering positive reviews for ages – for good reason.
Iolo System Mechanic's two flavours, regular and Professional, offer Windows repair, tune-ups, and preventive security features that work well and keep a relatively low profile, providing the software equivalent of the "geeky friend" many users lack.
In its $49 regular incarnation, System Mechanic 7.5 will back up, repair, and compact the Windows Registry; detect and remove many types of spyware; optimise your startup files and system memory; and tweak your Internet connection settings for best performance.
In our tests the Registry and startup optimisations worked well, but our Internet connection seemed no faster. (We did not test the spyware removal.) Using Iolo System Mechanic's ActiveCare feature, you may schedule most of these functions, so you don't have to remember to invoke them yourself. The Iolo System Mechanic Pro edition, which costs around $20 extra, adds secure data wiping, data recovery, a firewall, and antivirus protection, although we didn't test the latter two.
We found version 7.5 intuitive and a bit easier to use than previous instalments of Iolo System Mechanic. Users who wish to know exactly what is being done and why won't be disappointed; Iolo System Mechanic also offers complete and extremely granular explanations of each action to come. In fact, perusing System Mechanic's help file is an educational experience that might be worth the price of admission in and of itself.
Over the years, we've used System Mechanic mostly for recovering data and wiping hard drives, but the tune-up features have also worked well. That brings us to our only caveat about the non-pro version: much of what the tune-up portion of the program does is automate tasks that an advanced Windows user (or your geeky friend) will already know how to perform manually using built-in Windows utilities.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- FTPermanent .Net Developer roleACT
- FTProcurement AdvisorACT
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTChange Manager- Rail / Fleet MaintenanceOther
- FTSAP Data AnalystOther
- CCProject Implementation Support - Telecom IndustryVIC
- TPSAP BW ConsultantQLD
- FTLinux Systems EngineerOther
- FTManager, PortfolioOther
- FTHadoop DeveloperSA
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTSolution Designer - WealthOther
- FTFacilities/Capacity EngineerOther
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectVIC
- FTSecurity System AnalystOther
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM DEVELOPER - BASELINE CLEARANCE REQUIRED - CANBERRAACT
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTNetwork Integration SpecialistOther
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- CCLevel 1 Service deskNSW
- FTSystems Engineer - Identity & AutomationQLD
- FTData Centre / Hosting Lead - $800 per dayOther