As more and more of everyday life becomes predicated on our connection to the digital world, the chances we will be targeted or vulnerable to cyber-attacks has also risen
System Mechanic 8.5
System Mechanic 8.5 is more than just a disk and registry cleanup tool.
- One-touch optimisation, lots of tweaking possibilities
- DriveSense works only with storage that's not part of a RAID array or virtualised
The focus on utility and choice makes System Mechanic 8.5 useful, and it presents itself in a way that's as clutter-free as you wish. If you want one-touch optimisation, this is your path to happiness. But if you can't keep yourself from tweaking everything that's tweakable, you'll be a very happy geek. System Mechanic remains the best bang for the buck, even at its full price. Norton Utilities pales by comparison.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
System Mechanic 8.5 is more than just a disk and registry cleanup tool. It aims to tune your entire system for peak performance. It will let you optimise just about everything else on your system.
System Mechanic 8.5 uses a dashboard that offers a high-level view of your overall system health. The test system, with its years of debris, was rated as being in fair condition, a reasonable assessment.
If you prefer fit-and-forget, you can tell System Mechanic 8.5 to take over and clear up the problems it finds. Or, you can control each detail and tell it exactly what you want optimised.
When defragging, in addition to viewing the level of fragmentation in a graphic, you can also choose to see a report that gives you a better view of the graphical representation, and a list of fragmented files and the extent to which they suffer fragmentation. With System Mechanic 8.5 you can choose not to defragment some files if you wish.
System Mechanic 8.5 also gives you control over what the package does automatically. Its ActiveCare function lets you select each function you want done automatically. For most users, this is a valuable choice. And because you can decide how much you want it to do, it's also a real time-saver.
There are some areas in which System Mechanic 8.5 duplicates what's in Windows. The System Details feature gives you the same information you can get from Windows.
Registry Tools performs the same tasks as other products, but not in the same way. We had it perform a registry cleaning, and it found about 850 of the 1,200 or so problems that Norton Utilities had found. We cleaned and ran it again, and it found another 350, making the total number about the same after two tries.
There are functions that only System Mechanic 8.5 could perform, such as memory defragmentation. It also claims to optimise your network connection. While it doesn't explain how this is accomplished, System Mechanic did report that our internet connection was able to deliver about 25Mbit/sec, which isn't bad, since our link delivers only 6Mbit/sec.
However, there is one area where System Mechanic 8.5 shows its limitations. System Mechanic includes a utility called DriveSense that reports on the health of your disk drives, warning of impending failure. But it works only with storage that's not part of a RAID array or virtualised in any way. In this test, it was unable to perform this function on the terabyte RAID 1 array in the test system, although when the original EIDE drive was attached, it worked fine.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- JBL take smart speakers back to the living room Link 300
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- TPAgile Scrum MasterQLD
- FTProject Coordinator l PMONSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTSoftware Engineer (Java/AWS/NoSQL)Other
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- CCSystem Administrator (TRIM)QLD
- CCX2 BPE Managers - TelcoVIC
- FTServer EngineerSA
- FTDigital BA x2Other
- FTData ModellerOther
- CCNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTProject Manager, Construction UpgradesNSW
- CCNetwork Problem Management Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - Cloud - GovernmentVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystWA
- FTSenior Transition Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther
- CCPEGA SSA DevVIC
- CCTest Analyst - SitecoreNSW