Iomega eGo 500 BlackBelt external hard drive
It keeps the same Iomega eGo BlackBelt name, but now this USB drive has a new case and larger capacity
- Sturdy case, decent speed
- Only USB connectivity
The Iomega eGo BlackBelt has increased in size and speed in its new incarnation, as well as dropping in price. It may have abandoned the classic metal hipflask extrusion, but the new eGo design still feels like it could stand a few knocks, aided by the rubber band that encircles it.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Iomega has forsaken the metal hipflask idea for a more plastic-like design with its latest eGo external hard drive. Like the original eGo, Iomega makes a few different options available, not just in capacity but colour too.
The red, silver and blue variants come in 320GB or 500GB sizes, while the black one we tried, the Iomega eGo BlackBelt, is 500GB only. All feature a single mini-USB socket on the back, with a bright blue LED alongside it to show operation.
If you need a faster FireWire connection, the company has kept one of the hipflask eGos in red finish in the line-up, in 250GB, 320GB or 500GB sizes.
The new style casing is still mostly aluminium and feels sturdy, with no visible sign of entry. As added protection, the black model includes a removable ‘BlackBelt' rubber harness to safeguard the corners and top and bottom surfaces from bumps and scratches.
Inside our Iomega eGo BlackBelt sample was a Seagate Momentus 2.5in notebook drive, a 5400rpm hard disk with 8MB cache. In basic speed tests with HDTach, we found it could average 28.9MB/s for disk reading, and 21.9MB/s when writing.
In burst tests, the Iomega eGo BlackBelt could hit 33.2MB/s, equivalent to around 265 megabits per second. Random access time was 19ms, and along with the read/write results, we'd conclude the Iomega eGo BlackBelt was slightly above average for most USB-attached hard drives; and is slightly faster than its predecessor.
There's no software included on the disk but Iomega offers its Protection Suite for free download.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- Seagate and Baidu sign strategic cooperation agreement for big data analysis
- Western Digital Announces Acquisition of Upthere
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCDBA / Database Services SME - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerOther
- FTSenior Software Test AnalystOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTHFC Capacity Planner | 6mth ContractOther
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD
- FTSolution Manager - SAPOther
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Strategy Specialist - Direct / ConsumerOther
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileVIC
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- TPPrincipal PO|PI DeveloperQLD
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / Advisor - Content & Collaboration - SharePointNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTScrum MasterOther