Iomega eGo 500 BlackBelt external hard drive
It keeps the same Iomega eGo BlackBelt name, but now this USB drive has a new case and larger capacity
- Sturdy case, decent speed
- Only USB connectivity
The Iomega eGo BlackBelt has increased in size and speed in its new incarnation, as well as dropping in price. It may have abandoned the classic metal hipflask extrusion, but the new eGo design still feels like it could stand a few knocks, aided by the rubber band that encircles it.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Iomega has forsaken the metal hipflask idea for a more plastic-like design with its latest eGo external hard drive. Like the original eGo, Iomega makes a few different options available, not just in capacity but colour too.
The red, silver and blue variants come in 320GB or 500GB sizes, while the black one we tried, the Iomega eGo BlackBelt, is 500GB only. All feature a single mini-USB socket on the back, with a bright blue LED alongside it to show operation.
If you need a faster FireWire connection, the company has kept one of the hipflask eGos in red finish in the line-up, in 250GB, 320GB or 500GB sizes.
The new style casing is still mostly aluminium and feels sturdy, with no visible sign of entry. As added protection, the black model includes a removable ‘BlackBelt' rubber harness to safeguard the corners and top and bottom surfaces from bumps and scratches.
Inside our Iomega eGo BlackBelt sample was a Seagate Momentus 2.5in notebook drive, a 5400rpm hard disk with 8MB cache. In basic speed tests with HDTach, we found it could average 28.9MB/s for disk reading, and 21.9MB/s when writing.
In burst tests, the Iomega eGo BlackBelt could hit 33.2MB/s, equivalent to around 265 megabits per second. Random access time was 19ms, and along with the read/write results, we'd conclude the Iomega eGo BlackBelt was slightly above average for most USB-attached hard drives; and is slightly faster than its predecessor.
There's no software included on the disk but Iomega offers its Protection Suite for free download.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Polycom Renew Their Most Iconic Teleconferencing Solution
- Google's Espresso networking tech takes SD-WAN to internet scale
- IEEE sets new Ethernet standard that brings 5X the speed without disruptive cable changes
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- 5 ways Cisco could become an iPhone's best friend
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPProgramme SupportACT
- CCRelease Manager (Salesforce)NSW
- CCProgram / Project AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTInternal Communications ManagerOther
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- TPService Desk Team LeaderVIC
- CCJira AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- TPSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCProgram / Project Support AnalystVIC
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideSA
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- CCDesktop Support Analyst / EngineerNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP BW/BI DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Business Objects DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Reporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCDatabase AnalystNSW
- FTSenior SAP Training LeadOther
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW