Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link
Miniature USB media playback device.
- Simple, convenient for multimedia playback
- No eSATA, Firewire or card reading; inconvenient USB port location
If you do not know how to hook up a PC to your television, the ScreenPlay TV Link offers a convenient way to play multimedia content.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
If you want more content than is available on Blu-ray and DVDs and from over-the-air broadcasts, you will need to find some way to let your TV access some other form of storage, either locally or over a network. The ScreenPlay TV Link does away with any complicated networking and focuses upon simple USB playback. It works well and is simple to use, but we would have liked more versatility.
The ScreenPlay TV Link's main focus is on flash drives and USB external hard drives. From these mass storage devices the ScreenPlay TV Link can access a variety of file types. Video support is acceptable: it offers MPEG 1, 2 and 4 decoding, including DivX and XviD. There is no support for more advanced codecs, though, with our test device unable to play H.264 video successfully. In addition the ScreenPlay TV Link can view JPEG picture files and decode MP3, OGG, WMA, WAV and AC3 audio.
All of this is able to come off any USB drive that has a FAT32 or NTFS file system — the two Windows standards — as long as the drive has a capacity greater than 512MB. We used a variety of flash drives from 1GB all the way to 64GB and did not have any issues. A range of external Seagate hard drives also worked flawlessly. Conveniently, the ScreenPlay TV Link is fully plug-and-play with no need to mount or "eject" a drive.
One shortcoming is a lack of a card reader or more advanced connections like eSATA or FireWire. This would have increased the appeal of the device, especially for those looking to connect a digital camera to their television easily.
It is a small device, roughly the size of a pack of Post-it notes. Composite and component break-out cables are included in the packaging, but the obvious winner is the device's HDMI connector. The device will up-scale content to 720p for playback, making it a good candidate for pairing with a newer LCD or plasma television. With power, USB, HDMI and analog audio (using the composite break-out cable) simultaneously connected, the back of the small device does become cluttered — if you change USB devices regularly an extension cable may be useful.
The on-screen interface is easy to use and has all the appropriate settings for video and audio, which makes initial set up a simple process. We were impressed with the up-scaling and video quality; 720p content on our test Samsung Series 8 (LA52A850) was bright and sharp with no significant flaws.
For the PC-illiterate or the downright lazy, the ScreenPlay TV Link offers a simple and convenient way to access mass storage devices.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCDeployment ManagerVIC
- FTSystem Specialist - Operational Technology SystemsOther
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTReporting Analyst - Planning & ForecastingOther
- FTHFC Capacity Planner | 6mth ContractOther
- CCSenior Technical Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer, Voice & DataOther
- FTSAP CRM FunctionalistOther
- FTDigital BAOther
- CC.net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Incident & OperationsOther
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- FTService Team LeaderACT
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- CCIntel IT ArchitectNSW
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTDevops Engineer X 2 positionsOther
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCDatabase Systems SpecialistNSW
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW
- CCDynamics AX Functional Consultant ? Finance | Supply ChainQLD