Iomega StorCenter 500GB
- Diverse range of functions, Simplicity
- Relatively slow over 10/100 network
While the lack of sophistication might not appeal to high-end network administrators, it has direct appeal to people who have smaller networks, but still require network sharing or backup facilities.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
For small businesses, or those of us with home networks that are almost as heavily used, network sharing is an all-too-real necessity. The StorCenter from Iomega gives you quick and easy control over 500GB of network storage space, as well as some other useful functions, though you're paying a premium of up to $300 over a plain 500GB external drive for these network utilities.
The two installed 250GB drives come defaulted in a RAID 0 (striping) array for greater speed, but can also be set to RAID 1 (mirroring) and JBOD (just a bunch of disks) depending on your requirements. Although it only managed to transfer at 5MB over a 10/100 network, around half the speed of other devices we looked at recently, it's capable of handling a gigabit connection on which greater speeds would be achievable. What makes this unit worth a look is the diversity of functions and the simplicity with which everything can be set-up. Designed to attach to a router or hub, the StorCenter is accessed from each workstation by installing the included "Discovery" software, which automatically detects the drive and assigns it a drive letter. The StorCenter can act as network printer server, FTP server, or even as a media server, streaming photos, music or movies to your TV via a digital media adapter (DMA). Using the "Discovery" interface, it's a quick step to create a share folder with permissions and allocate storage to users. The Iomega Automatic Backup will not only create a system recovery backup, which can be automated or scheduled, but will also perform backups of selected data and automatically add updates or additions to the backup as time goes on, a handy tool.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Synology announces slew of new hardware + software at Sydney event
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Software Engineer - C++ and NodeQLD
- FTSOE Systems EngineerOther
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTSenior Risk CoordinatorSA
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPSQL Systems DeveloperQLD
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- FT.NET Full Stack DeveloperOther
- CCFinance AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SharepointVIC
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTSCCM Systems AdministratorOther
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Integration Platform ProjectQLD
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- CCService Desk AnalystACT
- FTInfrastructure Architect (EUC)Other
- CCBI AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Capacity PlannerVIC
- FTSitecore DeveloperOther
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- TPICT Procurement Officer | NorthsideQLD
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersVIC