ioSafe Rugged Portable external hard drive
This rugged hard drive promises a lot -- but how should we test it?
- Looks extremely durable
- Higher price than other external drives
If you're happy to lug around a larger, heavier external hard drive and you need the disaster-proof design of the ioSafe Rugged Portable, it looks like a great product. We're keen to give it a hard time to see if it's up to the challenge.
Price$ 279.00 (AUD)
ioSafe is a company that specialises in offering seriously sturdy storage: we're talking fireproof and waterproof external desktop drives, fireproofed internal hard drives, and server-grade rugged backup systems.
We've got our hands on the ioSafe Rugged Portable, a much smaller but no less impressive counterpart to the rest of the company's line-up.
You can buy the Rugged Portable in 250GB, 500GB, 750GB or 1TB capacities with a 5400RPM traditional spinning-disk hard drive, and SSD versions are on the way — promising faster performance and even more resistance to shocks and damage. Both aluminium and titanium enclosures are available, with Kensington locks milled into the body for security's sake.
ioSafe claims that the Rugged Portable can take a lot of punishment. It conforms to plenty of aspects of a particular United States Military Standard called MIL-STD 810G.
The ioSafe Rugged Portable is milled from a single block of metal, and feels incredibly solid. The USB 3.0 connector may look flimsy, but it plugs in securely.
- Full Metal Jacket Technology — CNC machined enclosure from a solid billet of aluminum (Al) or titanium (Ti) alloy. Crush resistant to up to 5000 lbs (Ti) and 2500 lbs (Al) yet weighs as little as a pound (Al).
- Full Suspension Drive Technology — Full suspension in all six axes of motion. Optimized for data loss protection from drop and shock of 20' drops (SSD version) and 10' drops (500GB HDD version or 1TB HDD requires optional drive skin) per MIL-STD-810G Method 516.5.
- HydroSafe Technology — Waterproof yet heat conducting barrier to protect against data loss in up to 10' for 3 days in fresh water or salt water (aluminum version) or 30' for 3 days (titanium version) per IP68. Protects data even when USB or FW plug is in. No requirement for a connector cap to retain data protection.
- ChemSafe Technology — Full immersion in diesel fuel, oils, hydraulic fluids, aircraft fuels, 12' depth for 1 hour with no data loss per MIL-STD-810G Method 504
- EnviroSafe Technology — Continuous exposure to UV, blowing sand, blowing dust, rain, salt fog, icing or freezing rain, 24 hours with no data loss per MIL-STD-810G Methods 505.4, 506.4, 509.4 and 510.
- AltiSafe Technology — High altitude operation. 15K ft. (Alum.) and 30K ft. (SSD and Ti.) rated altitudes per MIL-STD-810G Method 500.4
We're going to put this drive through as many of the above tests as we can, apart from the altitude operation — we don't have a private jet (or a mountain in Australia that's high enough). ioSafe is also willing to let us test the Rugged Portable beyond these parameters, though, to see how much it takes to stop such a disaster-proof drive from working. Check back soon for a comprehensive review of the ioSafe Rugged Portable!
Do you have any ideas of what we should do to see how strong and rugged the iOsafe Rugged Portable is? How should we put it to the test? Post in the comments below.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Change Manager / Director, IT & Business TransformationOther
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)VIC
- CCMultiple Xamarin DevelopersVIC
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- CCNetwork Triage Operational SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer | Data Feeds | AI & AutomationOther
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceWA
- FTSAP ISU Device management-FunctionalVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - ComplianceNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- CCSystems Support Specialist- Network SystemsQLD
- FTJava Application developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support EngineerOther
- FTLevel 3 Support Engineer (Tibco, Java, J2ee, Jboss)Other
- CCTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- FTDatabase ConsultantOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCMitel Contact Centre SpecialistWA
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- FTDigital DesignerOther