ioSafe Rugged Portable external hard drive
This drive is smashproof, crushproof, waterproof and almost-everythingproof
- Rated against almost any calamity
- Speedy USB 3.0 interface
- Comes with $2500 data recovery
- Pricier than a regular external drive
- Bulky and heavy
- Not fireproof
ioSafe's Rugged Portable sacrifices a bit of bulk and weight to add some serious protection to a fast USB 3.0 hard drive. We put it through some grueling tests and it didn't skip a beat. If data reliability is important to you, we think this drive justifies its premium price tag.
Price$ 279.00 (AUD)
Traditional external spinning-disk hard drives can be fragile things — if you’re carrying one around with you it’s almost guaranteed to get a few knocks and bumps, and there’s an ever-present chance that it might fail. You can reduce the chance of this with a portable solid-state drive, but another more inventive solution is to ‘ruggedise’ a traditional drive.
ioSafe Rugged Portable: Design and specifications
ioSafe offers the Rugged Portable in either a SSD or spinning-disk version, but whichever drive you pick is immaterial. What’s more important is the thick aluminium shell that surrounds the drive — hewn from a single block of metal, it’s able to withstand some of the most punishing testing we’ve seen a piece of technology put through.
The Rugged Portable 250GB USB 3.0 version, which we tested, is a spinning-disk model with the internal laptop-size 2.5in hard drive running at 5400RPM. ioSafe rates the Rugged Portable against some pretty serious standards, and for all practical purposes the drive should stand up to almost any punishment the average user can throw at it.
The ioSafe Rugged Portable aluminium version is waterproof (under 10 feet for 3 days), crushproof (over 1100kg of direct pressure), drop-proof (up to 26 consecutive drops from 10 feet high), weatherproof, and chemical-proof: you can even leave it a 12-foot deep tank of diesel or jet fuel for an hour. The MIL-STD-810G specification that the Rugged Portable claims to comply with is unforgiving — so unsurprisingly, ‘military grade’ is an accurate description of the Rugged Portable’s build quality. It’s not fireproof though, with this left to the even-more-serious ioSafe SoloPro.
The business end of the ioSafe Rugged Portable drive.
If these ratings aren’t good enough, there’s also a titanium-shell version which is twice as sturdy (but it’s restricted to the SSD versions and comes with a correspondingly high price tag).
It’s a stark and simple device. No superfluous flashy lights or design flair: just a rectangular block of aluminium with a smooth finish and rounded corners. A single USB 3.0 connector at the rear of the ioSafe Rugged Portable looks flimsy, but it actually connects solidly and reassuringly. There’s also a Kensington lock port for securing the drive when it’s not travelling.
The aluminium Rugged Portable weighs just over 450 grams, and measures 10cm wide, 14.5cm long and 2.5cm tall. It’s definitely heavier and bulkier than a standard portable hard drive Because of the thick aluminium casing around the ioSafe Rugged Portable, it’s almost silent during operation. Unless it’s been running for more than an hour, the drive stays cool to the touch.
Next page: Performance and reliability
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital’s new MicroSD card enables 24/7 next-gen video capture
- Western Digital Ups The Game With Powerful New Gaming SSD
- QNAP Launches The Quad-Core TS-253Be and TS-453Be NAS
- Synology C2 Backup Now Available to Users Worldwide
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCJava DeveloperNSW
- CCWindows Desk Migration EngineerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSales ConsultantsSA
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationOther
- CCSENIOR PROJECT MANAGER - INFRASTRUCTURENSW
- TPAPS 6 Web DeveloperACT
- FTIT Security EngineerOther
- FTSenior UX Digital Developer, Digital Design DevelopmentOther
- CC0365 EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Desktop Support OfficerVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- CCCommunications AnalystVIC
- FTC++/Python DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Checkpoint Security EngineerOther
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTTester (Dynamics AX)Other
- CCXamarin .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Manager - Affiliates and PartnersOther
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- CCAutomation & Robotics Support Analyst - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther