Ipswitch Whats Up Professional 2006
- Mapping capabilities, Email and pager admin alarms, Secure remote access
- Difficult to grasp, Complex
Smaller networks will find this program extremely useful, but many will be frustrated by its challenging operation and user interface.
Price$ 2,607.00 (AUD)
Given the complexity of modern operating systems, it can be challenging to monitor and manage a single computer, let alone a network full of them. That's why network managers need software to help - such as WhatsUp Professional.
Ipswitch's product monitors devices and services on your network and notifies you of any problems that may occur during their usage. New to this version is a relational database for large networks, improved mapping capabilities and an overhauled interface. This has made it easier to navigate, but it still presents a rather daunting challenge to the novice. In fact, we spent plenty of time working how to utlise basic functions of the program, so it's best left to network professionals to deal with.
As you would expect, WhatsUp offers email and pager admin alarms for when a problem crops up. It also provides useful security functions - you can scan for active network services such as FTP, which helps you to detect unauthorised services, spyware and worms. This feature is extremely important for networks and will go a long way to minimising potential damage.
Actions can be set centrally via a global policy, which is a timesaver if you have a lot of devices to manage. The product also offers secure remote access via SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption.
WhatsUp hoovers up boatloads of data from your network devices, but by itself this isn't very useful. What saves you from drowning in a sea of numbers is its top-notch reporting and analysis. This version includes enhanced statistical and performance measurement and an increased number of standard reports, such as bandwidth monitoring.
This is a comprehensive management tool that we'd recommend for smaller networks. And with prices not much over a tenner per seat, it's not that dear, either. Just don't expect it to be user friendly though - but then again, these types of programs never are.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTPhone System TechnicianQLD
- FTSystems AnalystACT
- FTRobotic Process Automation DeveloperOther
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCCommunications Business Analyst - LTE / 4G / 3GWA
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- CCiMIS SpecialistACT
- FTLead Front End DeveloperOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCClient-side Front End Developer (Angular 2)ACT
- FTService Desktop TechnicianOther
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - Multiple RolesACT
- CCSet-Top Box InstallerQLD
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTAgile Business Analyst, website or mobile apps expOther
- TPBI Project ManagerQLD
- FTMerchandise Floor PlannerOther
- FTProject SchedulersQLD