Ipswitch Whats Up Professional 2006
- Mapping capabilities, Email and pager admin alarms, Secure remote access
- Difficult to grasp, Complex
Smaller networks will find this program extremely useful, but many will be frustrated by its challenging operation and user interface.
Price$ 2,607.00 (AUD)
Given the complexity of modern operating systems, it can be challenging to monitor and manage a single computer, let alone a network full of them. That's why network managers need software to help - such as WhatsUp Professional.
Ipswitch's product monitors devices and services on your network and notifies you of any problems that may occur during their usage. New to this version is a relational database for large networks, improved mapping capabilities and an overhauled interface. This has made it easier to navigate, but it still presents a rather daunting challenge to the novice. In fact, we spent plenty of time working how to utlise basic functions of the program, so it's best left to network professionals to deal with.
As you would expect, WhatsUp offers email and pager admin alarms for when a problem crops up. It also provides useful security functions - you can scan for active network services such as FTP, which helps you to detect unauthorised services, spyware and worms. This feature is extremely important for networks and will go a long way to minimising potential damage.
Actions can be set centrally via a global policy, which is a timesaver if you have a lot of devices to manage. The product also offers secure remote access via SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption.
WhatsUp hoovers up boatloads of data from your network devices, but by itself this isn't very useful. What saves you from drowning in a sea of numbers is its top-notch reporting and analysis. This version includes enhanced statistical and performance measurement and an increased number of standard reports, such as bandwidth monitoring.
This is a comprehensive management tool that we'd recommend for smaller networks. And with prices not much over a tenner per seat, it's not that dear, either. Just don't expect it to be user friendly though - but then again, these types of programs never are.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
- Huawei CEO Talks Up AI Ambitions At IFA
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager Consulting ITQLD
- TPWordPress DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Change ManagerOther
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTSAP Change Management LeadOther
- CCIntegration Specialist-Tibco & MulesoftNSW
- FTFinance AnalystOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- CCJunior and Senior SQL DeveloperACT
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTApplication Service Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Digital ProducerNSW
- FTNetwork Data EngineerOther
- CCTRIM Support OfficerSA
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTraining Co-OrdinatorNSW
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD