JBL Cinema Sound CS680
- Clear and powerful output
- Bass is sluggish at times, Speakers fall over easily when not wall-mounted
For a heavily bass-driven system, the CS680 speakers perform very well across the range, but they do struggle to reproduce fast and punch bass.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
JBL's Cinema Sound CS680 speakers, the upgraded version of the JBL Cinema Sound CS460, come with a bigger sub and slightly more conventional design. Delivering more power and a distinctly different sound, the CS680 is an excellent option for bass-hungry users, but as a high-end piece of home theatre equipment, it does have a few notable flaws.
Generally, sound quality on the CS680 is incredibly good. Treble and mid-range frequencies are clear and well defined, and they played out well during our tests. Bass performance, despite being powerful, did tend to lack a little definition and clarity at higher volumes. Bass tends to be slow and rumbling on this system - great for explosions and atmospheric music. The system's handling of punchy electronic music and tracks with fast and jumpy bass-lines didn't quite live up to what we'd expect from a system at this price level, as bass performance during these tracks was sluggish. Apart from this, however, the speakers deliver a well-balanced mix of sound.
This great sound quality did start to slightly deteriorate at higher volumes; however, the amount of power that this system delivers means that all but the craziest users won't need to venture much further than about the 70 percent volume mark. With an 8in, 125W subwoofer, and with each of the five speakers having 3.5in woofers, the amount of bass this system can generate is substantial. Bass-fiends will be well pleased with the CS680's ability to shake walls and rattle windows!
Setting up the speakers is a fairly standard process, and it took us about 20 minutes from opening the box to switching the unit on. As with the JBL Cinema Sound CS460, optional speaker stands are available for the CS680. The speakers themselves don't come with a receiver, so users will need a receiver with outputs for a 5.1 system.
Unlike the Cinema Sound CS460, the CS680 actually has quite a standard look. The speakers are roughly cylindrical, standing upright, and the entire ensemble has an attractive silver-trimmed-black finish. Suitable for most living room decors, the only fault we could find with the design was the fact that the cylindrical speakers, standing vertically, are susceptible to being knocked over. The included wall mounting brackets, however, provide an elegant solution to this problem.
JBL's Cinema Sound CS680 speaker package comes across as being targeted specifically towards users who are after slow and rumbling bass. Those who listen to material that has a lot of quick and punchy bass may be better served by different speakers.
Join the newsletter!
Featuring a high capacity ink tank system, that completely removes the need for cartridges - it comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Announces New 2018 Television Lineup
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- Express Your Style With Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM Freestyle Collection
- HomePod review roundup: 'Room filling,' 'best-in-class' sound, but Siri is 'embarrassingly inadequate'
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCMaster SchedulerNSW
- FTSenior AX Developer / Team LeadOther
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- CCReact DeveloperQLD
- CCJunior ? Mid Level Test LeadQLD
- CCPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior iOS Software EngineerOther
- CCChange ManagerQLD
- FTIntegration ArchitectOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCSenior Internet Applications EngineerNSW
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management Technical DesignerNSW
- FTHR System ConsultantOther
- FTSecurity, Risk and Compliance LeaderQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Financial Services | $880/dayQLD
- FTSnr MS SQL Developer- Australian only- security clearanceOther
- FTSenior Developer - Data Feeds: C# .Net Developer | FinTechOther
- FTCloud EngineerOther
- FTProject Coordinator / Junior Change AnalystOther
- TPEnterprise/Service Architect - Service Management ExperienceQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- FTAssociate - Case ManagementOther
- FTFront End Developer (Mid Level)Other
- CCProject Manager-SCADANSW