MSI has long pushed the boundaries of invention with its ever-evolving range of laptops but it has now pulled off a world first with the new MSI Creative 17.
JBL On Tour Mobile
- Sleek design, cover doubles as stand, rubber strips on base, auto-off, adequate sound at lower volumes, 2.5mm and 2.5mm cables included
- Average sound quality, distortion at higher volume levels
The On Tour Mobile may be worth a look if you are after a portable, lightweight speaker for travelling, but don't expect the world in terms of sound quality.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The JBL On Tour Mobile is a compact and lightweight portable speaker system. Featuring a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack, a sliding, protective cover, which doubles as a stand, and the ability to run either off either AC power or standard AAA batteries, the On Tour Mobile has good features, but is unfortunately let down by average sound quality.
The best aspect of this device is its design. Finished in an all-black glossy plastic with chrome ends, the On Tour Mobile has a sliding cover that protects the speakers, and which doubles as a stand when it's open. It also has rubber strips on its base, so it sits firmly on most surfaces. Sliding the cover open reveals two, 3W drivers and two small volume buttons. Pressing both buttons at the same time mutes the sound.
The unit's sound quality is average. Not surprisingly, the On Tour Mobile lacks bass and, as this can't be adjusted on the unit itself, you'll have to use the preset equaliser settings on your input device. While the unit does handle music adequately at lower listening levels, when the volume is turned up over the halfway point, distortion becomes evident and dramatically deteriorates the sound quality. As the bass distorts, the sound becomes overly muddled, but at lower levels the sound is clear and crisp. As such, the speakers are adequate, provided you are listening to them in close proximity.
The On Tour Mobile has a stereo mini-jack connection, so it can be used with a number of audio devices including, iPods, MP3 players, notebook computers and PCs. Conveniently, JBL also includes both a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, as well as an adapter for most Motorola phones. Also in the sales package is an AC adapter, a standard 3.5mm audio cable, a drawstring carry case and four AAA batteries.
Conveniently, the On Tour Mobile has an auto-off feature; the unit goes into sleep mode when the cover is closed or when there is no audio input. It resumes as soon as the cover is opened again, or when the volume button is pressed. The unit also remembers what the volume level was set to before it was turned off, and resumes playback at that same level.
The unit's battery life is rated at approximately 24 hours of continuous playback by JBL and an orange LED between the volume buttons flashes when the battery power is low.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo Find X2 Neo review: Class Act
- 2 Oppo Find X2 Pro review: The Ultimate Alternative Flagship
- 3 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 4 Moto G8 (2020) review: Win some, lose some
- 5 iPhone SE (2020) review: What's old is new again
Latest News Articles
- Apple finally launches a website for Apple Card management
- Report: Apple shifts Apple Arcade strategy, cancels some games
- Apple wants everyone to have an Apple Card—even if you were declined the first time
- RealMe pitch high-end X3 SuperZoom at mid-tier smartphone shoppers
- The New York Times dumps Apple News, says contained model isn’t ‘healthy’
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
- Why do gamers like RGB Lights?
- Huawei Matebook X Pro (2020) review: The real deal
- Oppo Find X2 Pro review: The Ultimate Alternative Flagship
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?