- Great design, quality sound, charges and synchronises your iPod, works with any portable media player
- Expensive, no bass or treble controls, can't run on batteries
You'll pay a premium, but the Radial offers quality sound, an excellent remote control and a weird but attractive design. An excellent portable speaker system on the whole.
Price$ 499.95 (AUD)
The JBL Radial is an all-in-one, 2.1 speaker system for your iPod or portable music player that stands out from the crowd thanks to an outstanding, if unconventional design. The Radial features a remote control, excellent sound quality and added features like audio-in, S-video out and USB ports, but its high price may shy some people away from what is otherwise an excellent product.
The Radial has a similar design to the JBL On Time, using a unique dome shape with the iPod docked underneath, encircled by the speaker above. In the package, JBL includes a number of dock inserts allowing any version of the iPod to be used with the exception of the iPod shuffle (2nd Generation). Thankfully though, the Radial also includes an auxiliary input jack on the rear and a line-in cable in the package, so any digital music player with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack is supported.
Using the Radial is a simple matter of plugging in the included AC adapter and docking your iPod. One of the best features of this system is the remote, which does far more than most speaker systems. The remote allows users to increase and decrease volume, skip and forward tracks, play and pause and even scroll through your iPod like you normally would using the scroll wheel. Our only complaint is with the small buttons, as they are sometimes awkward to press. But as far as navigation goes, the Radial allows almost full operation of your iPod from up to five metres away, which is a huge convenience.
Sound quality is very good, certainly better than we expected from a unit this size. The Radial is the best sounding portable multimedia speaker system we've reviewed, alongside the Bose SoundDock. Bass levels are good and complex riffs are produced with fine crispness. Vocal reproduction was also excellent, with good separation of instruments in the middle and upper ranges. The only weakness is a slight lack of low mid to bass response, but that is somewhat expected from a speaker system this size. Most importantly, there was no distortion evident, even at high volume levels. Although the dome design is pleasing to the eye, it means that directional qualities of the speaker are compromised to an extent. Overall though, the Radial is clearly good enough to replace an in-home stereo system, and attractive enough to ensure you'll want to show it off.
It does however have one glaring omission; bass and treble controls. The Radial only has buttons for volume up/down on the unit itself, so users will have to rely on their iPod equaliser settings if they wish to tweak the sound. On a system commanding this price tag, we expected some kind of controls. The Radial can't run on batteries, so it only works through the AC adapter provided.
The Radial includes an S-video out port, allowing users to dock a photo or video iPod, connect it to your television using an S-video cable (not included) and view pictures and video clips. There is also a standard USB connection, meaning the Radial can act as a dock, charging and synchronising your iPod when connected.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: ASUS Newest Notebooks
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTDeployment Project CoordinatorOther
- CCData and Analytics ManagerACT
- FTLead Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- TPSAP Process ControlQLD
- FTProcess Specialist x 2Other
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - $61 p/hrOther
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTBusiness Transformation ConsultantOther
- FTSenior DevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- FTDevOps Engineers/Consultants - CloudOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSecurity ArchitectOther
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- FTMulesoft Integration DeveloperOther
- FTMid Level Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperOther
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCPenetration TesterQLD
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther