New line-up targeted at designers, creators, and professionals
Just Mobile UpStand iPad stand
The Just Mobile UpStand is a stylish lightweight aluminium desktop stand.
- More flexible than the Apple iPad docks
The Just Mobile UpStand is a lightweight iPad stand that beats Apple's own by being simpler and therefore more flexible in rotation modes. You might think you don't need a stand for your iPad but once you start using one it just makes sense not to have to hold it in your hands or on your lap all the time.
Price$ 45.00 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in $US.
Just as the iPod and iPhone did before it Apple’s iPad is creating a whole new market in accessories, from cases to keyboards and stands.
Apple itself sells an iPad case and a couple of iPad stands but there are many more becoming available from third-party vendors.
The Apple iPad Keyboard Dock is a nice, if wobbly, way to use the iPad more like a laptop. It begs the question, however – why not just use a laptop, which is just as portable, has its own keyboard and offers much greater functionality?
Of course, while an iPad isn’t as functional as a laptop it is really a quite different beast. Its touchpad combined with an ever-increasing number of wonderful apps makes for something that works better in hand than on your lap of desktop.
The Just Mobile UpStand is a stylish lightweight aluminium desktop stand for iPad that doesn’t feature a keyboard but does allow the iPad to rest straight without having to be held in hand. Although lightweight it’s bulky enough to make it stay in your home or office rather than go on the road with you.
The Apple docks are limited because the iPad has to stand vertically, because that’s where the iPad’s dock connector is placed.
The iPad’s battery boasts a fine charge lifespan so the dock connector is rather superfluous anyway.
The UpStand is just a stand rather than a dock so the iPad can sit either vertically or horizontally – in portrait or landscape modes, so to speak.
Because of its simplicity the UpStand is therefore much more flexible than the Apple iPad docks. If you want to use a traditional keyboard with the iPad an UpStand and a Bluetooth keyboard is a much more flexible solution that Apple’s Keyboard Dock.
The UpStand sits on rubber non-slip supporting grips so that the iPad is held firmly in place. Just Mobiel claims that it is compatible with most iPad cases, too – and this is certainly true with the Apple-made case we tested it with.
Do you need a stand for the iPad?
Until you place your iPad on a stand you’d probably answer “no”, but once you seen the upStand in situ it starts to make sense – especially if you use it to watch videos on or as a digital photo frame. (If only you could hook an iPad up to a portable DVD player…)
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Beats Fit Pro review: Better than AirPods Pro
- 2 iPhone 13 mini review: About as good as small phones get
- 3 14-inch MacBook Pro (M1 Pro) review: Life just keeps getting better for Mac users
- 4 LG Gram 17 (2021) review: Super lightweight and primed for productivity
- 5 Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio review: Windows 11’s flagship feels like the future
Latest News Articles
- Huawei’s Aussie Black Friday deals roll into December in 2021
- Dynabook’s new Satellite Pro laptops will keep germs at bay
- Airfoil review: Sheer delight in streaming audio to any device
- How 2022 could be a game-changing year for Apple
- Huawei upgrades cross-device technologies in new MateBook laptops
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- NordVPN is offering 2 years of VPN service for AU$111
- Best SIM-only Cyber Monday iPhone plans in Australia in 2021
- Best Cyber Monday tech deals: Save big on TVs, Dyson Vacuums and more!
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?