JVC Everio GZ-MC500
- Styling, quality 3CCD imaging sensor
- Handling, 4GB hard drive on the small side, no AVI video format option
Despite the 3CCD image sensor and 5 megapixel still images, the GZ-MC500 is more suited to the casual moviemaker than the serious video enthusiast.
Price$ 2,799.00 (AUD)
The JVC GZ-MC500 looks like a spy camera, with matte black steel construction, an integrated flash and a rotating grip, allowing the camera section to move 45 degrees up and 45 degrees down. It fits snugly into the hand, with limited controls laid out at strategic points around the camcorder's body making it reasonably easy to access controls while recording.
Three 1.33 megapixel CCDs capture video, which the camera converts to DVD-resolution MPEG-2 video. It can record video in either 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 formats. The video can then be stored on the supplied 4GB Microdrive (or other CompactFlash device). On the supplied Microdrive, the GZ-MC500 can fit up to 60 minutes of DVD-quality MPEG-2 video. The camera can also take still photos at up to 2560 x 1920 (just under 5 megapixels equivalent, using the three CCDs).
The Microdrive can be swapped for other CompactFlash devices, and there a separate SD card slot. Video and stills can be downloaded to PC through a USB connection, or shown directly on a TV set via S-Video or composite connectors. PictBridge and DPOF are supported, providing you with several photo printing and sharing options.
Its 10X optical zoom (8X when taking still photos) was fast and clear, delivering minimal distortion at either end of the optical zoom range. A bright 1.8" LCD screen worked well, even when recording in bright sunlight--which is a good thing, as the MC500 does not have an optical viewfinder.
A small joystick controls virtually all the MC500's functions. A mode button on the left-hand side of the camera allows you to choose one of three shooting modes (video/still/audio). A dial for exposure settings is near that. While not the most intuitive control setup, it doesn't take long to become familiar with the operating procedures.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTNetwork Designer - Telecommunications - UrgentOther
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTBI - Business Intelligence, Analytics specialists & ArchitectsOther
- FTMarketing Executive - Digital, Direct and Customer MarketingOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)VIC
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst (Logistics transformation program)Other
- FTBI DeveloperQLD
- CCXamarin Mobile DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTSenior Solution Architect - Data CentreACT
- FTLead UI Designer (Apps)NSW
- FTSOE Architect - Gold CoastQLD
- FTSalesForce AdministratorOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSupport Engineer - Linux, AIX & SolarisNSW
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTScrum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- FTJunior / Mid Level .Net DeveloperOther