- 25X optical zoom, great versatility
- Low quality still images, lacks advanced manual features
The GR-D290's ease of use and adequate performance in a wide range of situations recommend it to beginners.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
JVC's GR-D290 handheld digital camcorder packs a wide range of quality features into a highly affordable product.
The camera can be easily held and operated with the right hand, with only the occasional adjustments requiring use of the left hand. Zoom and digital still image captures are controlled with the index finger, while the thumb controls recording toggle. A 2.5" LCD screen swings out from the side of the camera, and swivels up to 270 degrees.
The 25X optical zoom gives the camera great range, and delivers incredible close-ups in combination with the camera's tele-macro function. Zooming is fast and images remain clear across the entire zoom spectrum. The autofocus is a little sluggish when zooming fast, and often takes several seconds to catch up, especially at high zoom levels.
Video recording is simple with the JVC, with the automatic setting providing a quick and easy entry into the world of digital video recording. Some more advanced options are found in the manual mode. The GR-D290 achieves an effective balance between simplicity and versatile, powerful shooting.
Video is captured to MiniDV Cassettes. A switch located underneath the LCD screen allows users to switch to the camera's Memory mode, which records directly to a flash memory card. Only still images can be captured in memory mode, and the 8MB card which comes with the camera allows approximately 20 to be stored at the highest image quality (1024 x 768).
The GR-D290 has plentiful connection options, including USB, DV and AV outputs. Video can be recorded from the camera to a PC with the included software, while images can be simply dragged and dropped onto the computer. The process can be a little complex, but plenty of support is available for beginners.
Battery life is a little short, at only 60 minutes, but replacement battery packs are available with up to five hours life with the LCD screen on, and seven hours using only the viewfinder. Recharging the batteries is fast, but they must be attached to the camera, meaning you can't recharge one battery while using another.
The GR-D290 is as a versatile and easy-to-use camera, but it lacks advanced manual features.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- PC World 2017 Editors' Choice Awards Nomineees Announced
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Team LeadNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Rules/ Real time analysis)VIC
- FTPublishing Specialist / Business Specialist - TelecommunicationOther
- FTOnboarding Specialist (ServiceNow) - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW
- FTGateway Architect - perm / contractACT
- FTFull Stack DeveloperACT
- FTWindows Messaging and MS Exchange LeadOther
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTICT Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- CCDevelopment SpecialistNSW
- CCAxway DeveloperACT
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- FTPenetration TesterNSW
- FTEnterprise Lean Agile CoachOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther