- Accurate colour capture, excellent choice of lenses, 50fps progressive capture
- Pricey, no battery or charger as standard, footage not as sharp as Sony PMW-EX1
A decent camcorder, but one of JVC's cheaper models would make sense for many users.
Price$ 9,515.00 (AUD)
Unlike Canon and Sony, JVC differentiates considerably between its consumer and professional ranges, and leaves no middle ground. Compared to other high-definition camcorders we tested recently, the GY-HD201E felt the most like TV studio equipment.
The Fujinon 16x lens is removable, and a standard 1/3in bayonet fitting accommodates at least five alternatives, and even 1/2in and 2/3in lenses with adaptors.
Using a trio of CCDs with 1.1 megapixels each, the GY-HD201E has more than enough for its native 1280x-720 shooting resolution. JVC has opted resolutely for progressive 720p HDV (aka HDV1) in its professional range, and uses it to maximum potential. The GY-HD201E can shoot at 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60fps, although the latter modes are less widely supported by editing software. This model covers everything from film production to TV work.
In our daylight test, the GY-HD201E produced highly accurate colour, although the image isn't quite as sharp as Sony's . The GY-HD201E achieved smooth motion, however, thanks to its 50p recording. In our low-light test, it produced one of the darker images, but there was little grain.
The JVC HDV camcorders have always stood out for their lens options, and the GY-HD201E is the only camcorder at this price point to offer this facility alongside 50p shooting at this price point. For sports and nature videographers, this is a great option.
But for more general shooting, one of its lesser siblings would make more sense. It's worth noting that the GY-HD201E uses the high-end IDX system, and doesn't come with batteries or a charger, so this adds to the cost. If you don't need to shoot at 50 or 60 progressive frames per second, but still want different lenses, the GY-HD111E and the GY-HD110E (without FireWire input) are cheaper.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTHead of Development - SaaS ProductNSW
- FTSystems Co-ordinator / AdministratorOther
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- TPFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- FTTest Engineer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTDatabase ConsultantOther
- CCSenior IT Domain SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior DevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- FTProject CoordinatorSA
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - 3D, VR, WebGLNSW
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- FTWebMethods DeveloperOther
- TPProgram Coordinator. Product Management BackgroundNSW
- CCSenior Process AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Network Consultant / Junior ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro services URGENTOther
- TPiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSitecore DeveloperNSW
- FTWorkday TesterVIC
- CCMS Dynamics Technical Consultant - 6 month contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTChange ManagerOther