Kaon Media KTF-570H
- Simple to use, neat remote
- No HD support, lack of information stored with recordings
It's basic and easy to use, but don't ask for too much.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Although not heavy on the frills, the Kaon KTF-570H SD Personal Video Recorder is an easy-to-use digital PVR and set-top solution.
The interface and on-screen display has an appealing simplicity, although a little, well, floral for our tastes. Recorded programs are available at the touch of a button, as is the current and next EPG information. You can record by pressing the record button, and programming recording times is very quick and very easy. You can schedule recording times as one-off, weekly or daily (although there is no provision for weekends). The remote is a fine piece of work--it has all the functions we could ask for (including fast aspect ratio changes) and was comfortable and sturdy.
It's not all sunshine and roses, however. Annoyingly, saved programs are given a filename that only tells you the time, date and channel of the recording--it doesn't draw information from the EPG to give a file its name. If you want to name a recorded program something meaningful, you have to do that manually.
The tuner does not support high-definition. Turn to a high-def channel with the Kaon, and it will struggle valiantly to decode the signal, but just doesn't have enough grunt to do it, producing massive frame skips and poor image quality. Timeshifting in the Kaon is automatic and always on (although you can switch it off in the menu); so as long as you haven't changed the channel, you can always rewind live TV.
The 80GB hard disk included in our test review box is enough for roughly 40 hours of recorded standard definition television (there are also 40 and 60GB models available). The Kaon will tell you both the percentage of space left and the number of MB. It will also tell you how large each recorded file is.
There are various ways you can connect the Kaon to your TV. It has an RF aerial loop-through, stereo RCA outputs and two SCART outputs (although no SCART cables or adapters are supplied). For audio buffs, it also supports Dolby Digital bitstream output.
The Kaon was a little slow during our testing, taking a few seconds to start up and often pausing between channel changes, similar behavior to many early model digital set-top boxes. It does have facilities for fast navigation through the multitude of digital channels, however.
There are some nifty utilities and games that are pre-programmed in the box as well. A calendar, calculator and various simple games (including classics like Black Jack and Tetris) are all on the box.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTReporting Analyst - Planning & ForecastingOther
- CCSenior AngularJS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- FTAgile Project ManagerOther
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTCloud Security Architect / Consultant - Perm - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCCloud Orchestration and Automation SpecialistNSW
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- CCInfrastructure Specialist - Pharmaceutical IndustryVIC
- FTAsset and Configuration ManagerSA
- CCReporting AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Engineers- Transmission, IP Core and ITOther
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTDatabase Systems SpecialistOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - ASP.NETVIC
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperWA
- FTTechnical Product ArchitectQLD
- CCSupply Master Data Analyst - Procurement & Supply Chain - TelcoVIC
- TPProject ManagerVIC