Kaon Media KTF-570H
- Simple to use, neat remote
- No HD support, lack of information stored with recordings
It's basic and easy to use, but don't ask for too much.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Although not heavy on the frills, the Kaon KTF-570H SD Personal Video Recorder is an easy-to-use digital PVR and set-top solution.
The interface and on-screen display has an appealing simplicity, although a little, well, floral for our tastes. Recorded programs are available at the touch of a button, as is the current and next EPG information. You can record by pressing the record button, and programming recording times is very quick and very easy. You can schedule recording times as one-off, weekly or daily (although there is no provision for weekends). The remote is a fine piece of work--it has all the functions we could ask for (including fast aspect ratio changes) and was comfortable and sturdy.
It's not all sunshine and roses, however. Annoyingly, saved programs are given a filename that only tells you the time, date and channel of the recording--it doesn't draw information from the EPG to give a file its name. If you want to name a recorded program something meaningful, you have to do that manually.
The tuner does not support high-definition. Turn to a high-def channel with the Kaon, and it will struggle valiantly to decode the signal, but just doesn't have enough grunt to do it, producing massive frame skips and poor image quality. Timeshifting in the Kaon is automatic and always on (although you can switch it off in the menu); so as long as you haven't changed the channel, you can always rewind live TV.
The 80GB hard disk included in our test review box is enough for roughly 40 hours of recorded standard definition television (there are also 40 and 60GB models available). The Kaon will tell you both the percentage of space left and the number of MB. It will also tell you how large each recorded file is.
There are various ways you can connect the Kaon to your TV. It has an RF aerial loop-through, stereo RCA outputs and two SCART outputs (although no SCART cables or adapters are supplied). For audio buffs, it also supports Dolby Digital bitstream output.
The Kaon was a little slow during our testing, taking a few seconds to start up and often pausing between channel changes, similar behavior to many early model digital set-top boxes. It does have facilities for fast navigation through the multitude of digital channels, however.
There are some nifty utilities and games that are pre-programmed in the box as well. A calendar, calculator and various simple games (including classics like Black Jack and Tetris) are all on the box.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Systems EngineerWA
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- FTHead of Engineering - FrontendNSW
- CCProduct ManagerNSW
- FTFinance Business PartnerOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Sunshine Coast HospitalQLD
- FTField EngineerVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Product ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTSAP CRM/UI5/Online Systems AnalystOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager | ApplicationsQLD
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTMultiple DevOps EngineersNSW
- FTMySQL Database Administrator- Meadowbank locationOther
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- FTMiddleware Engineer/ Tibco ActiveMatrix or other ESBOther
- FTFront End Developer - Ractive.JS (Urgent)Other
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other