Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 is loaded with features
- Many extra security features, good proactive protection
- Less effective traditional detection, warning pop-ups can be confusing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus has plenty of features, but is inconsistent thanks to its below-average traditional malware detection and at-times frustrating user interface.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Kaspersky's pairs competent proactive protection with below-average signature detection, and a strong feature set with an at-times annoying user experience.
In traditional detection tests performed by AV-Test.org, this Russian-made program ($39.95 for a one-year, one-PC license) detected 97.27 percent of known malware samples--lacklustre when compared with the performance of some competing apps we tested, which caught 99 percent or more of the threats. It fared better in heuristics tests that gauge how well a program protects against new malware with no known signature. At a time when the bad guys crank out astounding numbers of malware variants to evade traditional signature scanners, such proactive protection is more important than ever. Here Kaspersky came in third with a 66.83 percent block rate.
Like Norton, Kaspersky did very well in rootkit detection: It managed to detect, block, and remove all ten stealth malware samples that we threw at it. It also detected and disabled all ten test infections, and proved more successful than most apps at getting rid of less harmful elements, such as Registry changes. Only Norton Antivirus and F-Secure Anti-virus were able to clear out more of the less-important junk.
In speed tests for automatic scans that typically occur when you open or copy a file, Kaspersky achieved a 12.15MBps throughput. Only the application from Avira--which didn't make our chart--was more nimble in that regard.
In features, Kaspersky has much to offer, with extras such as recommendations for system hardening, a virtual keyboard, and a scanner for out-of-date software. However, Kaspersky lacks descriptions for some of its recommendations, so you might be left wondering why you should take a recommended action such as disabling Autorun. And while updating old software is one of the best things you can do to keep your computer safe, you have to jump through many hoops to act on what Kaspersky finds.
The app's malware warning messages tend to be more confusing than informative. In our tests it displayed multiple different warning pop-ups for successive tests involving the same sample. And for either manual or scheduled scans, you'll know what it finds only if you happen to sit around and catch the pop-ups that appear during the scan. There's no scan summary window listing discovered files.
Kaspersky's antivirus app would likely get the job done when it comes to protecting a PC, but it's not the best bet for either detection or ease of use.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSystems Specialist - Linux / Windows / Network l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- FTJunior Java developerACT
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - BRISBANE | React.js | Angular.js | Node.js |NSW
- FTAutomation SpecialistOther
- FTService Desk Analyst - Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTSenior Siebel Integrator/Developer - Canberra/MelbourneOther
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTSoftware Tech Lead | C++ | Trading | Market ConnectivityOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - RetailOther
- FTSecurity Solutions ManagerWA
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTRecruitment Consultant - Major AccountsOther
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Development ManagerOther
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- FTFull Stack Software DeveloperOther
- FTTest ManagerACT
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTAssurance specialist(Quality Assurance and Process Improvement)ACT
- FTPractise Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTSolution Designer, Financial MarketsNSW